You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Card SIM not recognized after iOS 15.2.1 today

Anyone have this issue ?

i restarted my phone, popped out my SIM card and re-entered it and still not working :(

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 3:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 3:36 PM

See this, If you see 'invalid SIM' or 'no SIM' on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You can also try a force restart on the iPhone. Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

6 replies

Jan 13, 2022 9:14 AM in response to pcarrier80

That is not possible. The iPhone cannot do anything to the SIM, it just holds your cellular account information. The iPhone does not write anything to a SIM card, unlike Android devices. Just because you were texting someone before you decided to do the update would not have anything to do with it.

If the SIM no longer works in either phones, contact your carrier for a replacement.

Jan 13, 2022 9:44 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I know it might just be a coincidence but it was clear that my SIM card stopped working immediately after the reboot from the update. I noticed the no signal icon right away when I entered my code after the reboot. The card was working right before the update too so I have a hard time explaining what happened. I bought a new SIM card this morning and it works now.

Seriously either the reboot or the update did something… or it just stopped by itself in the update process.

Jan 13, 2022 10:20 AM in response to pcarrier80

I understand a hard time explaining, but the coincidence does not explain causation. Like I said, the SIM only contains your cellular account information and the iPhone does not write to the SIM, so I don't see a way for an iOS update to fry your SIM. It is a shame that your carrier would not provide you with a replacement for a failed SIM without you having to purchase it, but electronics can fail.

Card SIM not recognized after iOS 15.2.1 today

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.