You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation text on watch

Just got the series 7 watch and it does not have the microphone image under a text message for me to respond by dictation. Is this something I need to add?

Apple Watch Series 7, watchOS 8

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 9:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 9:38 AM

When you receive a text message and are looking at it to respond, tap where you see iMessage or Text Message.

When you do that, you should get this new screen.

The microphone appears on the bottom of the screen. If you do not see it there, then check the Watch app on the iPhone and see that Enable Dictation is turned on in General.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2021 9:38 AM in response to Janell432

When you receive a text message and are looking at it to respond, tap where you see iMessage or Text Message.

When you do that, you should get this new screen.

The microphone appears on the bottom of the screen. If you do not see it there, then check the Watch app on the iPhone and see that Enable Dictation is turned on in General.

Dec 31, 2021 10:47 AM in response to Janell432

There is no way to change the default. However if you receive a message and look at it immediately on the Watch, I remember seeing the dictation microphone appearing right there without having to go through what I showed you. You can provide feedback to Apple if you would like to see that change. Doesn't mean they will necessarily do it, but they will see it there, whereas they don't see the comments here. Go to Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Dictation text on watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.