You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage is sending people my full name without my permission

there have been other posts here on this topic and none of them have been resolved satisfactorily. I have confirmed that share contact is off. I have also confirmed that short name is set to first name only. iMessage is still sharing my first and last name with anyone I text whether I want that or not. No one wants this. And even if they did, it would be cool for you to let people know that this change has been made. This is a significant privacy concern. Please address it. And let me be super clear please do not post “did you check short name” or “just go in and turn off share contact info” As people have done on previous threads.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 1:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 10:02 AM

Update:

1. Even though name and photo sharing were turned off, iMessage continued sending this info
  2. i actually had to turn it back on and select “always ask”
  3. i also had to go into messages and click “edit” (weird place to put this) to find something called “edit name and photo”. You can just remove your last name here
  4. But this still didn’t solve the problem
  5. In contacts, there is something called my card at the top. This is new. It appears this is the info iMessage was sharing and not what was listed in name and photo in messages. So you have to edit your card here.

Solving this privacy concern has been much too difficult and unintuitive. All this because of yet another “helpful “ new feature that we were all automatically opted into without notice. That literally no one wanted.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2022 10:02 AM in response to LD150

Update:

1. Even though name and photo sharing were turned off, iMessage continued sending this info
  2. i actually had to turn it back on and select “always ask”
  3. i also had to go into messages and click “edit” (weird place to put this) to find something called “edit name and photo”. You can just remove your last name here
  4. But this still didn’t solve the problem
  5. In contacts, there is something called my card at the top. This is new. It appears this is the info iMessage was sharing and not what was listed in name and photo in messages. So you have to edit your card here.

Solving this privacy concern has been much too difficult and unintuitive. All this because of yet another “helpful “ new feature that we were all automatically opted into without notice. That literally no one wanted.

Dec 31, 2021 7:49 AM in response to LD150

Confirmed that it was already turned off. Still happening.

here is the behavior I witnessed with my own eyes:

1. Meet random stranger
  2. give number and first name only
  3. they text me via iMessage
  4. i reply via iMessage
  5. their message list shows my first and last name

again, all the replies above have been posted in other threads on this topic and there are still hundreds of people saying they have this same issue. The threads on this forum just end with no resolution.

I am still concerned that apple continues to release “helpful” new functionality and simply opts users in without any notification whatsoever. In this particular case we have a significant privacy concern created by the release of a feature that— let’s be honest— literally no one wanted.

Dec 30, 2021 4:18 PM in response to LD150

Confirmed it already was set to send and receive from phone number only. This is not the solution. Also— if it was the solution, Apple should have made it a helluva lot easier to opt into rather than out of. Apple’s constant stream of unannounced “helpful” new features often create unintended problems for users— and in this case it’s a significant privacy concern. Apple’s designers prioritize form and automation over function and control. Thanks again, Apple.

Jan 1, 2022 10:10 AM in response to btrenda

Since we are all just Apple-product users here, and so far, no one seems to have satisfied your need for a solution, I suggest that you contact Apple directly about this.

You have a number of ways to do so, including:

• Using the "Get Support" link in the upper right-hand side of this forum's web page.
  • Submit your suggestion directly to Apple here:https://www.apple.com/feedback/

iMessage is sending people my full name without my permission

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.