You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a folder that is not synced with iCloud

I have chosen to sync my Desktop & Documents Folders with iCloud. I want to maintain that but also create a folder that is not synced with iCloud. I want to keep backups of files in the cloud which are wholly apart from the cloud (which do not update when I update files that are included in the cloud).

How do I do that?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 10:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 1:06 AM

Only the folders you create on iCloud Drive, in Documents, or on your Desktop are syncing with iCloud. Any folder you create in your user home folder outside of the synced folders will remain local on your Mac. I created a folder in my user home folder named “DocumentsLocal”, where I am keeping all files I want to keep only local. Also the folders Music, Pictures, Movies, Downloads are only local.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2021 1:06 AM in response to rowlandvilletexas

Only the folders you create on iCloud Drive, in Documents, or on your Desktop are syncing with iCloud. Any folder you create in your user home folder outside of the synced folders will remain local on your Mac. I created a folder in my user home folder named “DocumentsLocal”, where I am keeping all files I want to keep only local. Also the folders Music, Pictures, Movies, Downloads are only local.

Dec 27, 2021 10:48 PM in response to rowlandvilletexas

rowlandvilletexas Said:

"How do I create a folder that is not synced with iCloud: I have chosen to sync my Desktop & Documents Folders with iCloud. [...]How do I do that?"

-------

Add this Folder to Desktop:

If an option, add this folder to the Desktop. Make a copy of the items > create a new folder > then paste the items into it. Or, if these are no longer needed where they currently are, then just relocate the folder to the Desktop. Depending on the size, it may take a while to upload.

iCloud Plan Upgrading:

You have 5GB free, as an Apple User. So, you may need to upgrade your iCloud Storage Plan, if you cannot access these items.

Learn More Here:

Dec 27, 2021 11:32 PM in response to TheLittles

I want to achieve the following:

1) iCloud for important documents that I am consistently working on. I want those same documents mirrored on my hard drive.

2) I want a separate folder on my Mac that contains these files (which I will update manually) but which are not in any way connected to the cloud.

It seems basic enough. Is there a way to achieve this?

Dec 27, 2021 11:43 PM in response to rowlandvilletexas

rowlandvilletexas Said:

"How do I create a folder that is not synced with iCloud: I want to achieve the following:"

-------

Two Things:

Use Non-Apple Cloud Storage:

Q1. "iCloud for important documents that I am consistently working on. I want those same documents mirrored on my hard drive."

A1. As long as iCloud Drive is enabled on your device, then they can be accessed. But, internal system files are inaccessible through iCloud. So, use cloud storage from your ISP to possibly access these.

Compress or Hide the File(s):

Q2. "I want a separate folder on my Mac that contains these files (which I will update manually) but which are not in any way connected to the cloud."

A2. No. But, compress it, and add a password to the compress file. Give it a name that is irrelevant. IT would be a ZIP file (making the file type unknown to whomever). Write the password down in a private location that only you are aware of, and only your have access to. Ultimately, hiding it (and then unhiding it when desired) would do the job. You'd have to show hidden files (use at your own risk).

How do I create a folder that is not synced with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.