You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alpha channel no longer works with Quicktime?

Always used Quicktime without problem but, since changing computer (MacBook ProM1 - OS Maverick) the alpha channel no longer works. My .mov file shows a black screen. Neither the sequence nor the alpha channel appear. However, other .mov files (WITHOUT alpha channel) are displayed normally.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 3:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 12:17 PM

Hi, thanks, tried both methods but same result. I guess that Apple has not developed a codec able to read alpha in the new QTx and has never update Quicktime 7, the best Quicktime ever... it could read anything.

How can I work now....? Any alternatives?

2 replies

Dec 27, 2021 10:54 AM in response to paolofree

Greetings paolofree,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems you're unable to play .mov files which include alpha channel.

To help isolate the behavior, test while started in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Additionally, test while using a different user account to see if the behavior is system-wide: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Kind regards.

Alpha channel no longer works with Quicktime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.