You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will simply reading a spam message cause harm?

I received a text message that is obviously spam. I don't even want to click on it but after reading the support article from Apple, it seems that to eliminate it from imessage on my Mac, I must. Or not?

Please advise. If I do click on the message can that alone cause harm to my Mac?

I will not click on any included links.

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 7:49 AM

5 replies

Dec 20, 2021 8:20 AM in response to PNW1000

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware.

Once done, restart computer and test.

Dec 20, 2021 8:15 AM in response to PNW1000

Please advise. If I do click on the message can that alone cause harm to my Mac?

No.

I will not click on any included links.

Clicking on the links won't cause harm, either.

It might initiate a download, but that won't cause any harm unless you actively install the payload.

But, if you are using Safari, it will allow you to block the download.

Dec 20, 2021 8:26 AM in response to PNW1000

If your Mac or iPhone or iPad is set to not load remote images, no. No issues.

If your Mac or iPhone or iPad is set to load remote images, then you will have just verified the email address and verified you are willing to access spam and verified that your mail client settings allow tracking, which will make your email address more valuable for further targeting and more valuable for re-sale to other spammers, and (if Private Relay is not enabled) will have shown an IP address and some other mail client data associated with the email address.

And I’d expect most spam and most marketing messages include tracking pixels and/or tracking images.

Apple is taking steps to make this tracking more difficult, but it’s still best to delete spam unread.

For most of us, we’re not the targets for the very expensive spyware that’s around, so a currently-patched iPhone is fine. If, however, you are an investigative journalist, a political dissident or political leader, someone with access to classified data or sensitive data, or have otherwise somehow come to interest someone very rich, your security calculations here can or will differ.

Will simply reading a spam message cause harm?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.