You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I enable Focus (every schedule I have) clock on menu bar becomes dark

Before:

After:

This is really annoying. How can I disable this "dimming"? I want my clock to be white all the time.

MacOS Monterey.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 2:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 5:43 AM

i have noticed that when DND is turned on, the clock is dim.

but when it's off, it's bright.

i guess that's a feature to tell you it's status. but i have found that you can place the DND icon permanently on the menubar and the clock will stay bright regardless of if DND is turned off or on.

DND turned on:

DND turned off:

just open control centre and drag DND from control centre and drop it on your menubar. you drag it by the text, not the icon.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2021 5:43 AM in response to PDVJAM

i have noticed that when DND is turned on, the clock is dim.

but when it's off, it's bright.

i guess that's a feature to tell you it's status. but i have found that you can place the DND icon permanently on the menubar and the clock will stay bright regardless of if DND is turned off or on.

DND turned on:

DND turned off:

just open control centre and drag DND from control centre and drop it on your menubar. you drag it by the text, not the icon.

Dec 20, 2021 4:12 AM in response to PDVJAM

I came across this little tidbit when searching an issue with Big Sur some time back. Apparently it's a design feature.

"In past versions of macOS there was an icon that dimmed when you had Do Not 

Disturb on. It also worked to be a shortcut to turn Do Not Disturb on or off 

(option click). 

Now the icon is gone and it does it with the time -- same with the shortcut. 

Glad to have the functionality, but then the time becomes harder to read. 

I do not think there is a fix -- well, other than what I have done which is 

have my Calendar app set to show the date and time as well (and then set the 

date/time to be as small as possible). To make it even worse (not that this is 

THAT big of a deal), if you set the clock to be analog it no longer works as a 

short cut (or indicator)."

Unfortunately I do not remember the source, I printed the page to a .pdf for a different reason but remembered it being there.

Every time I enable Focus (every schedule I have) clock on menu bar becomes dark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.