You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound output option. - internal speakers

I have a 2017 MacBook. The internal speakers don't show up as an output option in the Output window in preferences. I've reset the NVRAM which hasn't helped. Wiped and reinstalled everything. Clearly a hardware issue? Any other suggestions?

MacBook, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 7:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 4:20 PM

I had done all those things, contacted apple, and they had me erase the computer and reinstall a second time, even though I already had. The name of the hard drive when I did was not 'Macintosh HD' but had been changed. For some reason there was a software issue with that.

It did the trick - works now!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2021 4:20 PM in response to Brittany1416

I had done all those things, contacted apple, and they had me erase the computer and reinstall a second time, even though I already had. The name of the hard drive when I did was not 'Macintosh HD' but had been changed. For some reason there was a software issue with that.

It did the trick - works now!

Dec 19, 2021 9:11 AM in response to Andrew Lederman

Hello Andrew Lederman,

We understand that you're experiencing an issue with your MacBook speakers, and we want to help out.

Just to confirm, did you have a chance to go through all of the steps outlined in the article you came from? If so, and the built-in speakers don't appear as an option in the Output window, we'd like to get you in touch with Apple Support for further assistance.

You may be able to reach Apple Support here: Get Support

Take care!

No sound output option. - internal speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.