You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to draw a circle around something in Preview.app

Just what the thread title says. Specifically, I want to draw a circle around something to highlight that thing in the image, so I can send the image to another user and the circle will draw their attention to the item that is circled.

Thus, I do *NOT* want to fill in the circle with a solid color, because that will obscure the part of the image I am trying to draw attention to.

It seems that generally speaking there are no words annotating the interface items in the Preview app, so I don't think there is a way for the user to know what any of the functions are or how to use them.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 8:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 8:42 AM

GuyAskingQuestionsAboutMacOS wrote:

Just what the thread title says. Specifically, I want to draw a circle around something to highlight that thing in the image, so I can send the image to another user and the circle will draw their attention to the item that is circled.

Thus, I do *NOT* want to fill in the circle with a solid color, because that will obscure the part of the image I am trying to draw attention to.

It seems that generally speaking there are no words annotating the interface items in the Preview app, so I don't think there is a way for the user to know what any of the functions are or how to use them.

Thanks in advance!

The Shift Command A will open the Markup tool bar— make changes here to suit your needs.

Annotate an image in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2021 8:42 AM in response to GuyAskingQuestionsAboutMacOS

Thanks in advance!

The Shift Command A will open the Markup tool bar— make changes here to suit your needs.

Annotate an image in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

Dec 13, 2021 10:06 AM in response to GuyAskingQuestionsAboutMacOS

For reference, I guess it is squiggly line #2 that's needed, not squiggly line #1. Can only assume this is a classic rookie mistake.

Circles are most easily drawn/adjusted using the "circle" from the drop down— trying to freehand a circle ends up looking like a kindergartner did it, or a rookie...

holding the Shift key, adjusting the circle will true it up.

The fill is removed by making changes :

How to draw a circle around something in Preview.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.