You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up a POP email account

I am trying to set up a new email address with a local ISP, and nobody can tell me how to set it up as POP. Whatever I do always comes up IMAP.

I have spoken with the tech support at the ISP, and they say their accounts are generic, and that whether it behaves as POP or IMAP depends on how I set it up in Apple Mail. I have spoken with Apple technical support, and they say that the new account setup in Mail takes on the identity of what the ISP set up - and nowhere do I see an option to select POP or IMAP.

So I have two technical gurus each pointing at the other, and effectively saying "you do it". So which is correct?

Is there any way that the new email account setup in Mail can be coerced into setting up the incoming mail server as POP? Or is there another way out of this dilemma?

How should I proceed?

Paul.

P.S. I'm on the new M1 iMac with Monterey OS.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 2:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 2:59 PM

Apple did not make it obvious how to setup a POP account. But her is what you need to do:

When setting up mail pick "other"

Then put in a bogus email and password on the next screen (if you put in your real info it will default to IMAP)

The next screen should show a menu and you can pick POP then start to use your correct email and PW and put in the server inbound and outbound addresses

Note: some email providers now want you to use a PW that they generate. You would need to go to their email web site and have them make the PW and then follow their directions

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2021 2:59 PM in response to Paul Fryer

Apple did not make it obvious how to setup a POP account. But her is what you need to do:

When setting up mail pick "other"

Then put in a bogus email and password on the next screen (if you put in your real info it will default to IMAP)

The next screen should show a menu and you can pick POP then start to use your correct email and PW and put in the server inbound and outbound addresses

Note: some email providers now want you to use a PW that they generate. You would need to go to their email web site and have them make the PW and then follow their directions

Dec 10, 2021 5:18 PM in response to tbirdvet

Thank you for that advice - it worked. I could have saved myself hours of frustration and chat time if I had known earlier.

You are right that it isn't obvious, and I would have thought that Apple could do better; but perhaps they want to discourage people from using POP.

I'm a little miffed that the Apple tech I talked to didn't tell me about this, and sent me off in totally the wrong direction.

How do I set up a POP email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.