You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers: Keep an object in the same row when sorting a column

Hi

Is it possible to sort the table by column 'A' and keep the object (circle) and the 'x' in row c?

When I sort by column 'A' (descending) I get this result:

But I would like to keep the object (circle) in row 'c' like shown in the example here:

Best regards

Jan

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 1:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 11:03 AM

One way might be to create two shapes something like this:

(In the menu, Insert > Shape > Rectangle, and Insert > Shape > Oval, then format)

Then drag the circle over the square, select both objects and in the menu choose Arrange > Group, giving something like this

Then select the grouped object, type command-c to copy, click twice in a target cell, and type command-v to paste into the background of that cell.

SG

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2021 11:03 AM in response to Jan__Denmark

One way might be to create two shapes something like this:

(In the menu, Insert > Shape > Rectangle, and Insert > Shape > Oval, then format)

Then drag the circle over the square, select both objects and in the menu choose Arrange > Group, giving something like this

Then select the grouped object, type command-c to copy, click twice in a target cell, and type command-v to paste into the background of that cell.

SG

Dec 1, 2021 10:47 AM in response to SGIII

Hi SG

Thanks for your answer! It almost got me where I wanted, but unfortunately not all the way.

Previously I forgot to add, that I want the cell to have a certain color. So I want to get from Step 1 to Step 2 (see below). When I follow your suggestion, the orange color 'disappears' and the color of the cell turns white.

Do you have another idea to solve the problem?

/Jan

Numbers: Keep an object in the same row when sorting a column

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.