You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are attachments in email messages opening through My Page in safari

I have an IPhone 8, and in Safari I have Google as my search engine:

When I’m in Yahoo Mail and open a message, it opens in Safari (I think) under favorite page. Closing it takes at least 3-4 clicks, the last screen is blank and says “start page” at the bottom. Then I have to hit the home button to close it all out (there’s no X or option to close it). A day or so later I get a pop up of all these open pages. Each one now has the X on the corner to delete. This started happening after the prior update before the IOS 15.1. Help as I’m elderly and not savvy with these things. Bless you as Google search has been no help.

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 7:16 AM

5 replies

Nov 27, 2021 8:57 AM in response to JTGammy

Welcome JTGammy,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you've had some issues with links opening within Safari. We'll certainly do our best to help out with this.

To make sure we're on the same page here, are you saying that when you open these links within Safari and close them, they reappear a day or so later?

It sounds like now that they've shown up again, you can close them out by tapping on the 'X'.

You mentioned a pop up of these pages appears, when you say pop up, do you mean an alert or error message?

Do you use other Apple devices? If so, are you aware if you're using the Handoff feature for Safari? Learn more about Handoff here: Use Handoff to continue tasks on your other devices

Hoping to hear back, take care.

Nov 30, 2021 10:37 AM in response to JTGammy

Hey JTGammy,

Got it!

We'd confirm the default browser is selected to your preferred browsing app, using these steps: Change the default web browser or email app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

With that changed, it should open these links within the selected browsing app. However, we believe this may all be related to the fact that you're using a VPN. Using a VPN can cause issues with specific websites loading and options within apps. Learn more here: Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues We'd recommend testing this when the VPN is disconnected and if necessary, you may need to remove the VPN from your device to continue testing.

Hope this helps out, cheers.

Nov 28, 2021 6:19 AM in response to destiny241

The 1st paragraph is correct. I don’t want my info opening in Safari.

2nd paragraph, not sure but what’s happening:

When I click on an email in yahoo, it opens the attachment as Safari. When I want to close the attachment, there’s no way to close it. I get to a blank box that says “start page” at the bottom (see pic). At this point I have to hit the home button to close the screen.

than a few days later all these open pages (that wouldn’t close earlier) appear on my screen, and now have an X at the top to close (see attached pic).

No I haven’t clicked on any handover or whatever the name was.

When I open the Safari app, the only browser options that I have on my phone is Google, so I selected that as my browser.

thank you

JTGammy

Why are attachments in email messages opening through My Page in safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.