You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to assign the sustain pedal to a kick drum?

Hi, I am recording drum parts live with a PreSonus Atom finger pad controller. It's all good except that it would be really useful to be able to use a pedal for the kick drum. I have the sustain pedal attached to a Korg Kross keyboard & also linked into Logic, so when I press it I see the CC64 pop up as expected. What I can't seem to do is assign it to a kick drum. I have successfully reassigned some Atom pads in the MIDI Environment, but that only seems to allow notes to be reassigned, not CCs.

TIA,

Russell

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 3:49 PM

7 replies

Nov 28, 2021 2:37 PM in response to Demented4th

The previous solution worked but there is a slight delay with the scripting. So, I have used the transformation object to map the sustain pedal (64/127) down to a kick note on (as per YoyoBen's original suggestion), and the script to map the sustain pedal up to a kick note off (which the transformation object couldn't seem to do)

Then created a second transformation object to do the same for the footswitch (82/127) to operate the HH (close note on F#1) and adapted the script to map the footswitch up to HH close (note 41). All works brilliantly now :-)

Nov 24, 2021 4:29 PM in response to Demented4th

You can do this either in the environment with a Transformer object or in the Mixer with the help of the Modifier Midi FX Plugin.

The settings in the transformer object could look something like this. You may have to specify the DataByte 2 in the source (conditions) aswell. I can't test it right now. But it might be a starting point :-)

Nov 25, 2021 3:22 PM in response to yoyoBen

@YoyoBen - wow thanks for the help.

I tried to make the MIDI Modifier work, but I couldn't seem to make it trigger a note, only a different controller.

So, I went onto the Transformer object & tried the settings you suggested. Almost perfect except I was getting a kick for both pedal up and down, so as you mentioned, a quick tweak to set the condition for data byte 2 to 127 and it all works!

Thank-you so much 😁

Nov 26, 2021 2:18 PM in response to Demented4th

You can transform the release of the sustain pedal into a note-off with another transform object. Assuming your pedal‘s polarity is 0 = no sustain, greater than 0 = sustain on and your BD midinote is 36 (c1). You can use the other transform object to change

cc 64 0 to

note C1 0

Just a reminder, a midi velocity of zero is a note-off.

Nov 26, 2021 4:41 PM in response to yoyoBen

Unfortunately that doesn't work. Even if I set the velocity to 0, it shows in the control bar that velocity 1 is sent, so I hear a very quiet kick. I then thought I could reassign it to an unused note, but it doesn't help because the Note-Ons all pile up without any Note-Offs, so it soon floods the system so no more notes play.

I'm stumped!

Nov 28, 2021 8:48 AM in response to Demented4th

Worked out a nice easy solution! I didn't realise you could write MIDI scripts in Logic Pro. A quick look at the manual & the API's & I cam up with this, which does the job :-)

// Remap sustain pedal down & up to kick note C1 on & off

function HandleMIDI(event) {

if (event instanceof ControlChange

&& event.number == 64 ) {

if (event.value == 127) {

var on = new NoteOn;

on.pitch = 36;

on.velocity = 110;

on.send();

} else if (event.value == 0) {

var off = new NoteOff;

off.pitch = 36;

off.velocity = 64;

off.send();

}

} else {

event.send();

}

}

Is it possible to assign the sustain pedal to a kick drum?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.