You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Server 5.11.1 is no longer supported on macOS Monterey

Hello -

As we all know, macOS Server 5.11.1 is no longer supported on macOS Monterey, so I'm trying my best to find an upgrade to the server app for 5.12 (or whatever the latest supported version is) so that I don't have to roll my Mac back to Big Sur.

Apple Enterprise Support states that a version of macOS Server 5.12 is available from the "paid Developer site" https://developer.apple.com and thankfully I have access to this site! However, when I search for "server" I do not get a beta of any server apps. I called and spoke with Apple Developer Support and the representative was unable to find a beta of the server app later than 5.11.

Please, Apple! The world needs the new server app that supports macOS Monterey, or access to the beta. Has anyone had success finding a beta of the macOS Server app? If so, please reply with the apple.com URL, your assistance would be greatly appreciated! (FYI - This is to continue to use Apple Profile Manager that comes as part of macOS Server, no other services are required.)

Thank you,

Brad

macOS Server 5

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 12:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 1:17 PM

Hi everyone!

So I have no clue why Apple Enterprise Support and also Apple Developer Support couldn't tell me about this (I had no idea this Apple site/project even existed). However, I'd like to give a huge thank you to Reddit user u/raxia who was wonderful enough to post in the r/macsysadmin subreddit six days ago with a URL pointing to https://appleseed.apple.com/IT. I logged in with my Apple Business Manager ID, agreed to the end-user agreements, clicked on "Downloads" and sure enough, right there about half way down the page is "macOS Server 5.12 Beta 3 (21S135)".

So for those of you who were dumb enough to upgrade their Mac to macOS 12.0.1 Monterey without realizing that the Mac Server.app hadn't received an official upgrade yet, there is some light at the end of the tunnel if you don't want to roll your Mac back to Big Sur!

Here is the link to the reply by r/raxia on Reddit ... https://www.reddit.com/r/macsysadmin/comments/qhwpyo/comment/hl0sfxj/

I will reply to this post once I have installed the macOS Server 5.12 Beta 3 app. Still waiting on my most recent backup to complete, so check back shortly.

Best regards,

Brad

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2021 1:17 PM in response to bradfromsavannah

Hi everyone!

So I have no clue why Apple Enterprise Support and also Apple Developer Support couldn't tell me about this (I had no idea this Apple site/project even existed). However, I'd like to give a huge thank you to Reddit user u/raxia who was wonderful enough to post in the r/macsysadmin subreddit six days ago with a URL pointing to https://appleseed.apple.com/IT. I logged in with my Apple Business Manager ID, agreed to the end-user agreements, clicked on "Downloads" and sure enough, right there about half way down the page is "macOS Server 5.12 Beta 3 (21S135)".

So for those of you who were dumb enough to upgrade their Mac to macOS 12.0.1 Monterey without realizing that the Mac Server.app hadn't received an official upgrade yet, there is some light at the end of the tunnel if you don't want to roll your Mac back to Big Sur!

Here is the link to the reply by r/raxia on Reddit ... https://www.reddit.com/r/macsysadmin/comments/qhwpyo/comment/hl0sfxj/

I will reply to this post once I have installed the macOS Server 5.12 Beta 3 app. Still waiting on my most recent backup to complete, so check back shortly.

Best regards,

Brad

Nov 24, 2021 1:45 AM in response to bradfromsavannah

I don't understand why the same discussion takes place here every year. I've been working with macOS Server for over 7 years and it was clear to me from the beginning that the latest version of the Server App would NEVER be delivered at the same time as the latest macOS.

I really can not understand how every year people just do not understand and blindly update their systems. Sorry, but it's their own fault!

I'm making a joke out of it! New macOS? Oh great, let's see how many dorks in the forum have updated and now scream for the server app, because its not running anymore.

No sympathy from my side here. Do you homework, before touching a critical system!

Nov 30, 2021 11:35 AM in response to Tearjerker

It's actually the first time I've ever stuck my foot in it, but for me it's about solving the problem and sharing the information to help others that are sitting in the same, waterlogged boat as I am.

I did perform a backup before the upgrade to Monterey, I could have rolled back, but after looking at the steps and what other's had written on that topic, it seemed like it was going to take a while. So instead of going backwards I figured, let's see what my options are if I want to move forward. Sure enough, a couple of Google searches and a couple of phone calls to Apple and I end up finding AppleSeed, and with it the download for the Server.app 5.12 Beta 3. So I pushed forward!

Thanks for the critique. If you think that I didn't chastise myself properly after I figured out what I had done, you're sadly mistaken. If you've been a MacOS admin for 7 years and you watch everyone, every year, have this exact same issue but haven't posted any assistance to help others, then you're the dork.

Respectfully,

Brad

Dec 2, 2021 6:21 AM in response to Tearjerker

You are right that The macOS Server app has not been released at the same time as the latest version of the operating system, but that is a recent change. However, the current length of time is not typical. Here is a breakdown of the macOS release and the supported server app release:

10.11 El Capitan: 2015/09/30 - 2015/09/16 (Not a typo)

10.12 Sierra: 2016/09/20 - 2016/09/20 - same day

10.13 High Sierra: 2017/09/25 - 2017/09/25 - same day

10.14 Mojave: 2018/09/24 - 2018/09/28 - 4 Days

10.15 Catalina: 2019/10/07 - 2019/10/28 - 21 Days

11 Big Sur: 2020/11/12 - 2020/12/15 - 33 Days

12 Monterey: 2021/10/25 - ??

I understand that macOS Server is not as high of a priority as macOS itself, and that releasing it a week or two after the release of macOS itself is acceptable. As of this writing we are at 38 days, and to me this is amount of time unacceptable.

While most places do tend to wait to upgrade, there are entities that want/need to be able to support the latest version of iOS on their devices and not having a version of macOS Server that can do that on the latest operating systems is problematic. Furthermore, I think it shows a lack of support from Apple for those places that want to proactively upgrade.

These are just my thoughts on it.

macOS Server 5.11.1 is no longer supported on macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.