You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calculator bug?

iPhone 11. Software 15.1

OK, I was playing with a maths question asking if a prime number greater than 3 when squared then 1 was subtracted, is the answer always divisible by 12?

then I saw the bug. (IMO there is always something weird happening on the iPhone calculator with a 1 and I am often being ridiculed by my peers on choice of phone.)

so enter the following key presses…

29 x 29 - 1 / 12 =

BTW The answer is 70.

If you don’t press the = button after the 1 then the - 1 is ignored.

Now should we be pressing the = button after every actionable section (brackets) or not.

29 x 29 = - 1 = / 12 =

I would of thought that as you press each action button then the subtotal is calculated, so after entering - 1 and as you then press the divide button the subtotal should appear in the window.

Thanks

Kevin

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 7:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 7:48 PM

The iPhone calculator will follow the mathematical order of operations when calculating that equation. You will first get 29x29, when you enter the -1/12, it has to divide the -1 by 12, before it can subtract that from 29x29. That is the correct order of operations, unless you create the equation as (29x29-1)/12. That is the only way to get the answer 70.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2021 7:48 PM in response to Kompetent Kev

The iPhone calculator will follow the mathematical order of operations when calculating that equation. You will first get 29x29, when you enter the -1/12, it has to divide the -1 by 12, before it can subtract that from 29x29. That is the correct order of operations, unless you create the equation as (29x29-1)/12. That is the only way to get the answer 70.

Calculator bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.