You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad UNABLE TO SEND SMS

According to APPLE: SMS and MMS messaging requires an activated carrier plan on any iPhone using iOS 8.1 or later. You can then send and receive SMS and MMS messages from these devices: Any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iOS 8 or later.

I started receiving "Not delivered" for every SMS message I tried to send.

I I turned off and on my iPad

I did a soft reset of my iPad

I did a restore of my iPad using iTunes

I am unable to send SMS

My iPhone is 6, IOS 12.5.5

My iPad is 6 generation, IOS 15.1

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 4:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 6:59 PM

Have you verified that your iPhone is still set to relay SMS/MMS messages to/from the iPad?

In iOS 14 and 15, that's in Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding. Not sure where it was in iOS 12.

3 replies

Nov 21, 2021 6:07 AM in response to markwmsn

Thank you, Mark, for your timely reply and suggestion.

Yes, iPhone 6, IOS 12.5.5 setting is set to “Send as SMS.”

Apple Support said, “with iPad 15.1 Upgrade, SMS is no longer available on any iPad that is not cellular.”

Ironically, I found a couple of Apple discussion threads which offered a fix for the exact same problem I am having.

Hopefully, there is a fix. Otherwise, it is disappointing and punitive for Apple to stop/cease SMS on non-cellular Apple device.

IPad UNABLE TO SEND SMS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.