You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple trade-in & gift card

Hi,

I would like to ask about the way of calculation when I purchase a new Apple device with a trade-in device and also applying a apple gift card that I had.

Let's take this as an example:

New device: 1000$

Tax: 150$

Trade-In value: 200$

Gift card: 300$

Payment: Full

How will it work? and how much should I pay in total?

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 9:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 1:20 PM

In most regions the Trade-In value will be refunded to the payment method used after the device has been purchased. It will not be applied directly to the purchase price at all.

The gift card however would apply directly to the purchase price including taxes during checkout.

So basically you would be paying in your example: $1150 (price and taxes) - $300 = $850.

Then you would get a $200 refund to the payment method for the Trade-In.

How does Apple Trade In work?

Important: If you are currently enrolled in the iPhone Upgrade Program, please upgrade your device through that program and do not proceed with Apple Trade In. Check your upgrade eligibility status

1. See what your smartphone is worth.

Answer a few questions to get your estimated trade-in value. If you pay monthly, we’ll apply the value as an instant credit to lower the monthly payments of your new iPhone. If you pay in full, we’ll credit your payment method after we receive your trade-in.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 19, 2021 1:20 PM in response to vietnpq

In most regions the Trade-In value will be refunded to the payment method used after the device has been purchased. It will not be applied directly to the purchase price at all.

The gift card however would apply directly to the purchase price including taxes during checkout.

So basically you would be paying in your example: $1150 (price and taxes) - $300 = $850.

Then you would get a $200 refund to the payment method for the Trade-In.

How does Apple Trade In work?

Important: If you are currently enrolled in the iPhone Upgrade Program, please upgrade your device through that program and do not proceed with Apple Trade In. Check your upgrade eligibility status

1. See what your smartphone is worth.

Answer a few questions to get your estimated trade-in value. If you pay monthly, we’ll apply the value as an instant credit to lower the monthly payments of your new iPhone. If you pay in full, we’ll credit your payment method after we receive your trade-in.

Nov 19, 2021 9:55 AM in response to vietnpq

That may depend on your tax jurisdiction. In some, hardware trade-in comes off the new device price and that portion is not taxed (that's likely rare for computer hardware as opposed to trading in a car but it may vary by state/locality). You've already provided a tax amount so that may not apply. So, you're looking at $650+/- out of pocket.

Nov 19, 2021 10:25 AM in response to vietnpq

It likely will not matter unless you live in a jurisdiction that treats the trade-in as a like-kind exchange where the value is not taxed; then the trade-in would come off first and the remaining value would be taxed. I doubt that applies much anywhere for computer equipment so everything is just applied toward the total. The only question remaining is if the trade-in is directly applied or provided by gift card later. I don't know the answer to that.

Apple trade-in & gift card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.