You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 2017'' extended desktop help!

Hi everyone,

So here's my situation. I got two identical 27'' 2017 iMac (5k retina) Catalina 10.15.7 at my job. I want to use one of them as an extended desktop for the first one.

I know TDM don't work anymore, I know about Luna and duet.

I want to know if there's a way to do so without having to pay for an app, if not what's the best pay option I have to do use my second iMac as an extended desktop.

Thank you :)!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 6:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 9:08 AM

There are no options for what you want to do, your question comes up many times on these forums every day and the answer is always the same. If you really need an external display for one of your iMacs, please buy one. This solution is much more simple, is dead reliable, is less expensive than buying expensive cabling and just works.

If that is not what you would like to do, totally understand and wish you the best of luck.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2021 9:08 AM in response to éric192

There are no options for what you want to do, your question comes up many times on these forums every day and the answer is always the same. If you really need an external display for one of your iMacs, please buy one. This solution is much more simple, is dead reliable, is less expensive than buying expensive cabling and just works.

If that is not what you would like to do, totally understand and wish you the best of luck.

Nov 17, 2021 8:27 AM in response to éric192

Hi éric192,

It appears you're wondering how to extend the display of your one iMac to your second iMac. This article has details on how to use multiple displays with a Mac, including possibly extending the display: Use multiple displays with your Mac - Apple Support If those steps don't help, you may need to look into possible other options for this.

Best wishes to you.

Imac 2017'' extended desktop help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.