You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to sync Word files on my MacBook HD with my iCloud Drive, so that I can modify/create them while offline and then have them automatically update to the iCloud Drive when I get back online?

Is it possible to sync Word files on my MacBook HD with my iCloud Drive, so that I can modify/create them while offline, save them to my HD and then have them automatically update to the iCloud Drive when I get back online? That way, I can access them from my other devices without having to remember what I did while offline and upload each new/revised file.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 7:28 AM

6 replies

Nov 13, 2021 9:24 AM in response to Toda0903

So the simple answer is YES. I have the following setup:

1. Created a folder in iCloud called Word (in my case)
  2. Move files you want accessible there on all your devices for Word
  3. In Files on your IOS devices, you can go into the above noted folder (once it has synched) and open the files in Word. On other Macs, same overall idea; but with the iCloud > Word folder (or whatever your folder name is)

I have been using this setup between my Mac, iPhone and sharing the folder with family for a few years now and it works well (enough).

If trying to open in MS Word on your IOS devices, you will have to go to the Folder icon (on the bottom likely of your screen) and then into the Files App and then into the folder you named to get the file. You may have to also go into to the Files app and access it from there.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Anthony

Nov 13, 2021 1:38 PM in response to Toda0903

Hi Toda0903,

So, maybe I missed something; let me ask the following:

1. From your latest reply, I need to ask, is the folder in question within the iCloud directly? If not, that is likely the problem, you're attempting to sync a folder that isn't within iCloud's group of folders/file to synch through the service.
  2. Do you have the same Apple ID setup on both Macs?
  3. Do you have then the same Apple ID enabled for iCloud?
  4. Therein, in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud, do you have iCloud Drive checked on both Macs? If not, enable it on both devices.
  5. Do you have the desired documents currently in the iCloud folder on one of the Macs at this point? If not, that will possibly be part of your issue. Move it to your iCloud folder inside a folder of your choosing (either existing or newly created) and it should in short order sync across to your iCloud account and then to the other Mac.

I will say this, I find iCloud does not synchronize files across devices as quickly as say Dropbox or Google Drive or MS OneDrive. But it is still viable.

Links that may help you:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/icloud/mm19ef899373/1.0/icloud/1.0

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/icloud/mm62d92d6b3e/1.0/icloud/1.0

Cheers,

Anthony

Nov 13, 2021 12:06 PM in response to WESTCOASTHOPKINS

Thanks, Anthony. I have tried that (although I am only really interested in having Word files accessible from each of my two Macs, not an iPhone or iPad). However, test files created and saved on my hard drive do not sync with the folder of the same name on iCloud. Equally, test files created and saved in the iCloud folder do not sync with my HD. I have to move them back and forth manually if I want to work offline. Am I missing something?

Nov 14, 2021 4:12 PM in response to Toda0903

Hi Toda0903,

If I may, move the Word folder fully into iCloud and put a symbolic link or alias to it, back in your normal location, that way, you don't have to think about jumping through the various hoops, just do it once.

I don't know if you know or are comfortable in the Terminal, so will suggest you go the rout of creating an alias to your "Word" folder. This alias will reside in the original location you had the "Word" folder and the actual "Word" folder will reside in your iCloud folder.

Here is a link to a good article on how to use and create/remove Aliases: https://www.macinstruct.com/tutorials/how-to-make-an-alias-shortcut-on-a-mac/

Good luck.

Is it possible to sync Word files on my MacBook HD with my iCloud Drive, so that I can modify/create them while offline and then have them automatically update to the iCloud Drive when I get back online?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.