You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro connection strategy - need advice!

I bought a new MacBook Pro, one of the models recently released with an Apple M1 processor. I posted a question already, but perhaps didn't ask it the right way. I want to plug my MacBook into something (a Thunderbolt docking station/hub) such that I can connect to 2 32" monitors, an external keyboard, mouse and 6-8 additional USB devices (photo scanners, printers, movie capture devices, etc).

What do I buy, like specific examples, please? I don't believe there is an Apple device available, at least not one that I could find.

I saw a Razer Thunderbolt 4 Dock on Amazon for $330 which said it was a thunderbolt 4 device which can connect 2 monitors to an Intel MacBook, but only 1 monitor to an M1 MacBook.

And what kind of monitors? I'm looking at something like an LG 32UN550-W Monitor 32" UHD (3840 x 2160) Display. Will the MacBook take advantage of UHD? This monitor has Display port and HMDI. I'm assuming I would use a Thunderbolt 4 USB C to Display Port cable?

Beyond that, I would either use the available USB A ports to the device, either from the Thunderbolt 4 docking station/hub, or maybe would need an additional USB hub.

Any pointers as to what I can / should / could buy to make this setup work would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

/john

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 3:37 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 12, 2021 4:13 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

My heart just sank. I had confirmed that I was OK inside the brick/mortar Apple Store before I put the order in. I just looked back and perhaps I did not put the information in correctly. I did note that it was a MacBook Pro that was recently released, the new ones. As I look closer, I guess it is an "M1 Pro" MacBook Pro. According to the splash page in the Apple Store, the M1 Pro processor supports 2 external displays, the and the M1 Max supports 4 external displays. So I have the "M1 Pro", which supports 2 external monitors. Heart back in place.

Now back to my question - what do I buy to get the 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse, and multiple general USB devices all to connect?

Thanks,

/john

PS: Seriously @BobTheFisherman, thanks for the reply. I'm learning the lingo and the nuances of this purchase. This exchange helped me learn and improve the way I say things in the future.

Nov 12, 2021 4:15 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

aargh, fouled up by this interface. There was an option to say that this reply solved my issue. Clearly it didn't. I went to remove the "It's solved", and apparently I ended up selecting it now. It now says that this question is solved. Is there a way to undo this setting, or do I need to repost the question so as to get people to see it?

MacBook Pro connection strategy - need advice!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.