You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Persistent Microphone Indicator (Orange Dot)

Hi there,

I have noticed that there is an orange dot in the top-right corner of the screen when I'm in a virtual meeting (e.g. Zoom, MS Teams). Plus, it appears on all my screens which I don't really like.

I understand that it is a privacy feature to ensure no rogue apps are using the microphone when you think it's not in use. You can click into the control centre to see which app is running and take action.

Also, I appreciate that you can go into Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and control which apps have access to the microphone.

There are others complaining about it. See:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/qfozd5/how_do_you_disable_the_indicators_in_monterey/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/qhbt4n/how_to_disable_orange_dot/hichlka/

My issue with this is that many are dismissing the question for privacy and leave it at that. But that's not a good response. If I'm screensharing and using other screens, I do find it distracting. Yes, my OCD is not accepting of it. And, I am not getting used to it.

Is there no way to dismiss the indicator for known apps?

For example, let's say I am in a MS Teams meeting and the control centre shows that too, then I should be able to click on an option to dismiss the indicator for that app for a period of time or indefinitely.

Giving users some kind of control would be a major improvement to the OS.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 2:25 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Persistent Microphone Indicator (Orange Dot)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.