You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

word for mac shortcut do not work on M1

I switched from an 2013 MBP to 2021 24-inch M1 with the Magic Keyboard. It's a beautiful machine but I can't figure out what happened to Word shortcuts.

For example, the FN+Command+Rt Arrow Key should take me to the end of the document. Or the same combo with the left arrow should take to the beginning. But nothing happens.

Another convenient shortcut is to go back to the last insertion point, shift+F5, is also a dud.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 5:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 1:51 PM

Hi Fgrigorio, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that the shortcuts you are familiar with are not working as expected.

We recommend that you look into the article below.

Mac keyboard shortcuts

If you are referring to Microsoft Word, the article below may help.

Keyboard shortcuts in Word - Microsoft Support

Take care!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 6, 2021 1:51 PM in response to Fgrigorio

Hi Fgrigorio, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that the shortcuts you are familiar with are not working as expected.

We recommend that you look into the article below.

Mac keyboard shortcuts

If you are referring to Microsoft Word, the article below may help.

Keyboard shortcuts in Word - Microsoft Support

Take care!

Nov 6, 2021 8:17 PM in response to Fgrigorio

For example, the FN+Command+Rt Arrow Key should take me to the end of the document. Or the same combo with the left arrow should take to the beginning. But nothing happens.

Both of those both work as Microsoft decided* on my M1 Mini with Magic Keyboard with TouchID (Office 2019).

Word allows you to add shortcuts to menu commands with Tools > Customize Keyboard…. I can't imagine they removed that from Office 365.

Specifically, I found InsertFootnote to which you can add a shortcut command. InsertFootnoteNow was already assigned Cmd-Opt-F

*Beginning on a Mac is cmd-up arrow.

End is cmd-down arrow

Microsoft uses left/right the arrows along with fn to get Beginning/End

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

Nov 6, 2021 4:31 PM in response to kamote0628

Thank you. Some it is helpful. But whether it's Apple or Microsift, my going from 2013 MBP with MS Word 365, with the older Magic Keyboard, to M1 with the new Magic keyboard and the same WOrd 365 was anything but smooth. For example, I was not able to make F5 useful even after I turned it off in System Preferences. On my MBP, it used to open the GoTo window.

In the end, I have managed to find the commands I needed and put them above the ribbon by doing the following:

In Ms Word, go to Preferences->Ribbon & Toolbar->Quick Access Toolbar. Then, in the left pain, I chose "All Commands" and selected those I needed to move them one boy one to the right pane "Customize Quick Access Toolbar". This is exactly what I need. My most frequent commands are now all arrayed above the ribbon: footnote, goto bookmarks, goto TOC, top of document, end of document, previous edit. I am sure I'll be populating it further as need arises.

Hope this helps another book-writing lost soul like myself.

24-inch M1 (2021), 16 GB Memory, Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse

word for mac shortcut do not work on M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.