You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG Monitor Flashes Black Randomly

Hello Everyone!

So I have a 16'' M1 Pro MacBook Pro connected to two external monitors, 1 via HDMI, 1 via USB-C. The monitor connected by HDMI works perfectly with no issues. The monitor connected via USB-C however, randomly goes black for about 3-5 seconds at a time throughout use during the day.

I have seen that I may not be the only one with issues here, however, I don't see any posts regarding this issue with an M1 MacBook Pro 16'' and therefore wanted to start a new discussion.

Full specs:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), M1 Pro, 32 GB

macOS 12.0.1

LG HDR 4K Display, LG 32UL750-W Monitor 32" 4K UHD

Reproduction:

1. Run the MacBook Pro with a relatively light load (Zoom, Safari, Spark email, TweetDeck, etc.)
  2. Note that about once every 1-2 hours the screen will seemingly randomly flash black for 3-5 seconds and then turn back on
  3. Note that the monitor does not disconnect, it simply flashes black.
  4. Note that audio is not disturbed, neither is window placement, and other screens still function and do not reload
    1. In other words, this is not a faulty cable

Troubleshooting:

• This article does not help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201177
  • Issue seems to occur without any increase in GPU usage (looking at both Activity Monitor and iStat)
  • Restart does not resolve issue
  • HDR display is not enabled

Open to more ideas on how to resolve, and otherwise hope to help bring voice to others with the same issue.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 10:13 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 3, 2022 2:07 PM in response to mdw123

I bought an Anker USB-C power-distribution & display hub and connected my monitor via HDMI. The problem went away. There is an incompatibility between the monitor and the computer - either the M1 MBP isn't right, or the Intel MBP tolerated an incompatibility with the monitor that the M1 MBP doesn't.

I did not have this problem with the same monitor on USB-C with a 2019 Intel Macbook Pro 13.1 and a 2018 Macbook Air.

LG Monitor Flashes Black Randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.