You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching phones and carriers

Hi so I’m going to be getting a new unlocked phone soon and I want to use a different carrier then I have now. But I’m a little lost as to what steps I should take first. So as far as I know I can switch all my information to my new phone first, then buy a SIM card for my new carrier and call them to set it up on my new phone. Then call my old carrier to cancel that plan and then take out the SIM card and reset the phone. If someone wouldn’t mind telling me whether this should work or I’m missing something that would be greatly app

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 5:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 5:19 PM

If you want to keep the same phone number the FIRST step is to contact the new carrier and ask them to port your number to their network. You must do this before canceling the old service. If you don’t care about the phone number your procedure will work. See→Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 2, 2021 5:19 PM in response to Cat1239_

If you want to keep the same phone number the FIRST step is to contact the new carrier and ask them to port your number to their network. You must do this before canceling the old service. If you don’t care about the phone number your procedure will work. See→Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Switching phones and carriers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.