You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD drive for new MacBook Pro?

I just ordered the new MBP 16 inch Max with 64 RAM and 1 TB HD. In retrospect I should have spent $400 more for a 2 TB drive. Too late now. So…any recommendations for an external SSD drive for FCP projects?

Cheers.

Tom

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 8:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 10:42 PM

You have to use the right cables to get the best performance. Samsung X5 with the Thunderbolt 3 cable is the fastest SSD I have. There may be newer drive coming out for the TB4 protocol but I haven’t seen any. For regular USB-C, which is plenty fast for most things, the Samsung T5 and T7s are very good. For size I love the SanDisks, though I wish they came in colors so you could tell the sizes apart. 2 TB in your pocket, half the size of a phone, is amazing. There are probably a lot of others, but that’s what’s been working for me.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2021 10:42 PM in response to Thomas Whaley

You have to use the right cables to get the best performance. Samsung X5 with the Thunderbolt 3 cable is the fastest SSD I have. There may be newer drive coming out for the TB4 protocol but I haven’t seen any. For regular USB-C, which is plenty fast for most things, the Samsung T5 and T7s are very good. For size I love the SanDisks, though I wish they came in colors so you could tell the sizes apart. 2 TB in your pocket, half the size of a phone, is amazing. There are probably a lot of others, but that’s what’s been working for me.

External SSD drive for new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.