You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your connection isn't private

Trying to access secure websites and can't get past this security setting. I've tried multiple browsers, refreshing pages, quitting applications, deleting browsing history and much more. For some reason, my computer will not let me access these sites (primarily my.af.mil). I'm using an iMac.

Please help.

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 3:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 9:24 PM

For mac's running older versions (pre 11), a specific root certificate expired on September 30, 2021. I've searched board after board and here was the only thing that fixed it:

Thanks to Qchrontech on LetsEncript board:

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/connection-errors-on-apple-devices/161107/27

I can Confirm a fix that worked on both a 10.9.5 & 10.11.6 Mac OS users. Simply set the DST Root CA X3 to "Always Trust" on several Mac's I manage in an office and home's this fix work for 4 websites that previously had issues with this CERT ERR.

Directions for fix:

1. Open ~/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app
  2. From View menu select "Show Expired Certificates"
  3. On the Left Sidebar pick System Root
  4. In search bar top-right type DST
  5. Double-click "DST Root CA X3"
  6. In pop-up, turn down "Trust" arrow and set "When using this certificate" to "Always Trust"
  7. Close the pop-up and put in an Administrator user/password info.
  8. Close all open Browsers & Keychain you should be good to go after that.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 30, 2021 9:24 PM in response to gxldee

For mac's running older versions (pre 11), a specific root certificate expired on September 30, 2021. I've searched board after board and here was the only thing that fixed it:

Thanks to Qchrontech on LetsEncript board:

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/connection-errors-on-apple-devices/161107/27

I can Confirm a fix that worked on both a 10.9.5 & 10.11.6 Mac OS users. Simply set the DST Root CA X3 to "Always Trust" on several Mac's I manage in an office and home's this fix work for 4 websites that previously had issues with this CERT ERR.

Directions for fix:

1. Open ~/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app
  2. From View menu select "Show Expired Certificates"
  3. On the Left Sidebar pick System Root
  4. In search bar top-right type DST
  5. Double-click "DST Root CA X3"
  6. In pop-up, turn down "Trust" arrow and set "When using this certificate" to "Always Trust"
  7. Close the pop-up and put in an Administrator user/password info.
  8. Close all open Browsers & Keychain you should be good to go after that.

Oct 25, 2021 11:18 AM in response to gxldee

I tried to the my.af.mil site and couldn't open it either. I got a "server not responding" error message. What are some other sites your having problems with

Please read the following user tip and restate your question/problem in detail

Writing an Effective Apple Support Communities Question - Apple Community

Then download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Your connection isn't private

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.