You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C port not working for MacBook Air M1

Since I updated the software to Big Sur, one of the ports has stopped working and the recommended fixes like the SMC fix, which I read doesn't work for the M1 anyway, are not fixing it. It is clearly not a hardware issue as it happened immediately after the upgrade to Big Sur. Although it's still under warranty, as it is 6 months old, I cannot take it to An Apple Centre as there isn't one for thousands of miles from where I am now.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 12:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 4:42 PM

Do another verification: Go to about this mac, system report and check the port info and see what the status read out is on the port with the issue (does it even recognize the port?). Also please restart your Mac in safe mode and test the ports again:

How to Boot into Safe Mode on Apple Silicon Macs

1. If your Mac is powered on, shut it down ( menu -> Shut Down).
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk.
  4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  5. Then test your ports for connectivity
  6. If they work then restart normally and check again
  7. Let us know the outcome
8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 23, 2021 4:42 PM in response to nicholasfrommedina

Do another verification: Go to about this mac, system report and check the port info and see what the status read out is on the port with the issue (does it even recognize the port?). Also please restart your Mac in safe mode and test the ports again:

How to Boot into Safe Mode on Apple Silicon Macs

1. If your Mac is powered on, shut it down ( menu -> Shut Down).
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk.
  4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  5. Then test your ports for connectivity
  6. If they work then restart normally and check again
  7. Let us know the outcome

Oct 23, 2021 2:16 PM in response to ku4hx

What amazingly dumb answers!

I am on an island in the Ionian Sea. If I shipped it to Athens, I wouldn't see it again for 3 months, if ever.

How do I know it's not working? duh. The MacBook Air has 2 ports. One works and the other doesn't any more with the same cable used in the one which works...or two cables...so how unlikely is it that it is a hardware issue, i.e. a failed port, when it occurred immediately after upgrading to Big Sur? and the computer is only 6 months old. If it had stopped working a day later maybe. A freak event. And what on earth does "devices don't fail on a known schedule" mean. I'm quite sure it is a glitch in Big Sur, whether it has resulted in an external hardware incompatibility issue or not, when exactly the same device works from one of the two ports. It is more likely that the software upgrade has made the port non-functional. Surely, that is sufficient description of the issue.

Nov 3, 2021 10:54 PM in response to BPatterson82

Yes, I also tried the suggested resets but haven't yet tried Safe mode boot, as I need to back up everything first. Also no change to the port after these steps.

I survive on the one working port and I suppose if and when I get back to civilisation I will go to an Apple store.

I have ignored Woodmeister50's overcomplicated stuff about SSD, etc. as irrelevant. It is absolutely a software issue, and nothing to do with failed internal hardware.

BPatterson82: Can you directly contact Apple and ask them about this happening after the upgrade to Big Sur? and if there is a way round it other than restoring to factory settings. I am on an island in the Mediterranean and somewhat limited by this.

Oct 24, 2021 5:46 AM in response to nicholasfrommedina

On an M1 Mac, If the internal SSD is corrupted, primarily the firmware/recovery partition, you cannot boot the M1 Mac period. The M1 Macs no longer have a firmware/recovery boot in hardware. So, if that partition is corrupted or the SSD itself is dead, the Mac itself is dead. The only exception could possibly be and external USB installer drive. In which case you could possibly reinstall macOS from it and possibly solve the issue.

Other than that, assuming the SSD itself is not dead, it is possible to fix the firmware/recovery partition with a second Mac and Apple Configurator2. It can do a "Revive" which will install the most current firmware/recovery partition. It may also be necessary to do a full Restore which wipes everything from the drive, i.e. all data lis lost.

Also, aside from an Apple Store, there could be an Authorized Apple Service Provider that is closer. Not knowing where you are, you can contact the Apple support number most appropriate for your location her :Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support to find out if there is one close by.

Oct 23, 2021 3:17 AM in response to nicholasfrommedina

You can ship it for repair.

How do you know it's not working? If only one external device has "failed" try another. Or a different cable if one is used. It may be a hardware issue; devices don't fail on a known schedule. Big Sur may be the cause, but it might also be a Big Sur hardware incompatibility problem.

Without full details and a more complete description of what's going on, assistance is difficult.

Nov 3, 2021 5:19 AM in response to nicholasfrommedina

I am having the same issues where as the back left works on my 2019 Macbook Pro, but the front left will only support charging. I had diagnostics run at the Apple store and they said the hardware is fine. Absolutely a software issue.

No Bueno on any of the suggested steps 1) SMC Reset 2) NVRAM Reset 3) Safe mode boot.

It was suggested to me (by the apple store) that I wipe my computer and restore to factory settings by that seems like an absolute overkill. Let me know if you have found any luck restoring your usb-c ports.

USB-C port not working for MacBook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.