You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop keeps opening download folder on Mac

Hey everyone, does anyone know how to stop the downloads folder from opening up when I AirDrop?

I've just recently upgraded to the M1 MacBook Air, but the one thing that has frustrated me more than anything is that for some reason the downloads folder keeps popping up as soon as I transfer. (This did not happen on my 2016 MacBook Pro also running MacOS Big Sur).

This is why it annoys me so much: Basically I transfer because I need something in an app which I don't already have on my Mac. So for example, I'm writing up a document in Word in fullscreen mode, and then I airdrop a scanned picture and then it transfers me to Desktop 1 for example and opens downloads, where now I have to close downloads (bcs that means nothing to me) switch screens and then easily just transfer the image from the downloads in the Dock to where I want it in my document.

In short, it switches me out of the application I'm working in to open a folder just to close and ruins my workflow.

Other examples are in Photoshop. I don't need the folder to open. I just transfer from the Downloads in Dock right into Photoshop. Or other apps I just click "File" > "Open..." and just open it there. I really have no use of the folder opening.

So if anyone knows how to switch it off it'd really be appreciated!, because I really hate me screen's switching when I never used to.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 3:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 4:22 AM

That’s literally what I want and had. My downloads is in my dock for easy access which is what I want. But on my new Mac it’s still there yes, but it seems to open the downloads folder in finder on the desktop as well and navigates me there automatically.

all I want is the easy access to downloads in the dock, not all the other stuff that’s happening.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 23, 2021 4:22 AM in response to Allan Jones

That’s literally what I want and had. My downloads is in my dock for easy access which is what I want. But on my new Mac it’s still there yes, but it seems to open the downloads folder in finder on the desktop as well and navigates me there automatically.

all I want is the easy access to downloads in the dock, not all the other stuff that’s happening.

Oct 22, 2021 6:24 AM in response to zacharygray

zacharygray wrote:

Hey everyone, does anyone know how to stop the downloads folder from opening up when I AirDrop?

I've just recently upgraded to the M1 MacBook Air, but the one thing that has frustrated me more than anything is that for some reason the downloads folder keeps popping up as soon as I transfer. (This did not happen on my 2016 MacBook Pro also running MacOS Big Sur).

This is why it annoys me so much: Basically I transfer because I need something in an app which I don't already have on my Mac. So for example, I'm writing up a document in Word in fullscreen mode, and then I airdrop a scanned picture and then it transfers me to Desktop 1 for example and opens downloads, where now I have to close downloads (bcs that means nothing to me) switch screens and then easily just transfer the image from the downloads in the Dock to where I want it in my document.

In short, it switches me out of the application I'm working in to open a folder just to close and ruins my workflow.

Other examples are in Photoshop. I don't need the folder to open. I just transfer from the Downloads in Dock right into Photoshop. Or other apps I just click "File" > "Open..." and just open it there. I really have no use of the folder opening.

So if anyone knows how to switch it off it'd really be appreciated!, because I really hate me screen's switching when I never used to.

hmmm...

I do not see any easy answer here—however

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause conflicts and issues on the macOS

Oct 22, 2021 7:54 AM in response to zacharygray

The Downloads folder is the default Airdrop location. I've done a little research and it appears it cannot be changed.

This forum post gives a crude workaround but appears to export ALL the DL folder contents:

Change default destination of AirDrop fil… - Apple Community

which I would not like to happen. There is a similar discussion here:

https://dev.to/louy2/change-destination-directory-of-airdrop-on-macos-472h

that may at least allow an Airdrop sub-folder within the DL folder,

I deal with this by dragging the Downloads folder icon to my Dock for ready access:

That way, depending on how you set your Dock items option, makes the drooped file quickly available without navigating through the normal Finder paths.

If you wish Apple to know how inconvenient the current Airdrop method is, I invite you to let an Apple employee know using this feedback link:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Airdrop keeps opening download folder on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.