You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions regarding Apple Watch for an elderly person.

Hello,

I am considering to buy an Apple Watch (4/5/6) (not the LTE version) for my father, so he can call me, and also have the SOS and fall detection features.

What is not clear to me is if those features will work if his iPhone isn't in the same room. E.g. If he goes to the bathroom, which will have WiFi but probably too far for Bluetooth connection with the iPhone, will he be able to use those features?

So the iPhone will be in one room, it will be turned on, and will have both WiFi and Cellular connectivity. The Watch will be in another room, connected to the same WiFi network.

In my country eSim and "Wi-Fi Calling" are not supported. So I don't want the calls to be made directly by the Watch, but by utilizing the iPhone in the other room. Is this possible?

Thanks

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 2:03 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 21, 2021 5:13 PM in response to luke5129

I found the following: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204562 which says:

If Bluetooth isn’t available, your Apple Watch will try to use Wi-Fi. For example, if compatible Wi-Fi is available and your iPhone isn't in Bluetooth range, your Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi.

Is the WiFi connection limited to only certain things and you need Bluetooth for full functionality?

Questions regarding Apple Watch for an elderly person.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.