You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Series 1 2nd gen watch not turning on

As you can see my watch is an older model I’ve had for a number of years, and after a period of not wearing it due to working at home and not needing to wear a watch I’ve gone back to working in the office.

obviously, it needed charging as it was in my drawer for about a year so I left it on charge for a day, minimum of 12 hours and it won’t turn on.

left it on charge for another day and still nothing, if I push the square button for a few seconds the apple symbol shows up on a black screen then vanishes.

have tried a hard reset pushing the crown button and square button at the same time. Again the apple symbol will show for a few seconds then goes away.

touching the screen won’t wake it up and neither will pushing either of the buttons on their own.

I put it back on charge and the watch became incredibly hot.

is it fixable? If so what do I do? Does it need a new battery? Or is it completely dead? (Hope not! It’s worked perfectly for years until I put it in a drawer when covid hit!)

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 12:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 12:41 PM

If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge.

To understand Apple Watch performance and its relation to your battery, see:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple Watch Battery and Performance - Apple Support

“Battery life” is the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged. “Battery lifespan” is the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced. Maximize both and you’ll get the most out of your Apple devices, no matter which ones you own. See the "Tips for Apple Watch" section in:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Perhaps this article will help:

If your Apple Watch won't charge or it won't turn on - Apple Support

If you still need help, contact Apple Support.

For repair & service:

watch Repair - Official Apple Support

watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2021 12:41 PM in response to Ding88

If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge.

To understand Apple Watch performance and its relation to your battery, see:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple Watch Battery and Performance - Apple Support

“Battery life” is the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged. “Battery lifespan” is the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced. Maximize both and you’ll get the most out of your Apple devices, no matter which ones you own. See the "Tips for Apple Watch" section in:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Perhaps this article will help:

If your Apple Watch won't charge or it won't turn on - Apple Support

If you still need help, contact Apple Support.

For repair & service:

watch Repair - Official Apple Support

watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

Oct 19, 2021 4:46 PM in response to Ding88

Simply said, Lion Batteries when fully discharged for an extended period of time, die and cannot be resuscitated. All those months of not being charged has killed the battery.

Apple doesn't actually replace the battery in Apple Watch, they just take your watch and give you replacement device. You said Series 1 2nd generation? There is Series 1 and Series 2. A Series 1 replacement will cost $199. A series 2 replacement will cost $299.

That said, it is a most unwise investment in such an old watch which is too old to run the newest iOS versions. If I were you, I'd say it's time for a new Apple Watch. Only this time, whatever watch you buy, if you think you won't use it for any extended period of time, leave on its charger to keep it charged up.

Series 1 2nd gen watch not turning on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.