You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can ExFat files saved in dup mode be opened and readable on a mac running Mojave 10.14.6?

I have a hard drive I am using in a 7 writer DVD duplicating machine. I upload DVD's to the hard drive and then print new copies of the DVD's on the blank DVD's in the 7 writers directly from the HDD. The machine doesn't work anymore, so I want to take out the HDD and put it into a USB 2.0 or 3.0 cover and be able to plug it into my computer and play the DVD's. I'm currently using Mac Book Pro running Mojave 10.14.6.

The technician said the format of the HDD was EXFAT and on his computer (Windows) the files were only numbered and named 'dup'. He said it was duplicating format and couldn't be opened. He did not try to open them, he just said it wouldn't open and I couldn't use them.

These 60 + videos are very important for me to save.

Has anyone faced this issue before? Does anyone know if this HDD's dup files may have another format connected or within them and can be saved and used with my computer? Any way to tell?

He put the HDD back into the machine, btw.

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 1:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 1:53 AM

I think the way to tell would be to put it in a USB enclosure & see what the Mac thinks of it. ExFAT itself isn't a problem - the issue might be how the duplicator's firmware/OS dealt with file names vs file contents.

3 replies

Oct 17, 2021 5:46 PM in response to sidra295

If you are using a third party proprietary app for this process, then most likely the app saves the data in files which use a proprietary format that only the proprietary app understands. The same applies if the DVD Writer device is actually saving the files on this hard drive. If this is the case, then you will need to use the proprietary app or the device to access/process those files. You can also check with the developer of the app or the manufacturer of the device for assistance or check their forums (if available).

If you want control over the files, then you need to use an app or a device that saves the files in a common format that can be read by standard apps.

If the device or app is not currently working, then you may need to restore their functionality which is one of the downsides of using proprietary software and hardware.

Can ExFat files saved in dup mode be opened and readable on a mac running Mojave 10.14.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.