You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad receiving text messages but can’t send.

I set up my mother-in-law with my husbands old iPad.(she has an android and can’t quite get how to use it as she’s 85). It was accepting text messages and she could reply. Now she can’t. She says she’s sending but the little blue arrow turns black with a white arrow and we don’t receive it. Any idea what’s wrong and what I need to do to correct the issue.

iPad, 8

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 7:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 8:39 AM

iPads, alone, cannot send SMS text messages to other non-Apple devices.

iPads can ONLY send regular iMessages to other Apple devices.

To send/recieve SMS messages from an iPad requires the pairing/tethering of an Apple iPhone, which CAN send and recieve SMS text messages, using the call and message forwarding feature of the iPhone, making an iPad a remote call and messaging device to an iPhone.

Sorry.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2021 8:39 AM in response to Socmom11

iPads, alone, cannot send SMS text messages to other non-Apple devices.

iPads can ONLY send regular iMessages to other Apple devices.

To send/recieve SMS messages from an iPad requires the pairing/tethering of an Apple iPhone, which CAN send and recieve SMS text messages, using the call and message forwarding feature of the iPhone, making an iPad a remote call and messaging device to an iPhone.

Sorry.

iPad receiving text messages but can’t send.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.