You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie stuck on “Validating iMovie Library”

So I have a hard drive with a bunch of my old imovies on it. When I went to open it up, it worked just fine. But when I went back to open it again, it would not open and it just says “Validating iMovie Library”. The application also says not responding. How do I fix this?

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 4:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 6:28 PM

Endless validating usually means that there is a corrupt project in the iMovie library. To test, open iMovie in a new blank library. To do that open iMovie while holding down the Option key. You will get a box that will give you the option to open iMovie in a new library. If it opens in the new blank library (with no projects in it) that would indicate that there is a corrupt project in your old library that is hanging up the opening process.

For a solution, you might take a look at this thread and see if there is anything in there that helps you:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250312276?answerId=250610699022&page=1

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2021 6:28 PM in response to Hannahroxx1233

Endless validating usually means that there is a corrupt project in the iMovie library. To test, open iMovie in a new blank library. To do that open iMovie while holding down the Option key. You will get a box that will give you the option to open iMovie in a new library. If it opens in the new blank library (with no projects in it) that would indicate that there is a corrupt project in your old library that is hanging up the opening process.

For a solution, you might take a look at this thread and see if there is anything in there that helps you:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250312276?answerId=250610699022&page=1

-- Rich

iMovie stuck on “Validating iMovie Library”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.