You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app badge count not updating on IOS

Why is mail app icon badge not updating?

I'm getting email notifications on my iPhone and on my MacBook—I love how this works between devices. I usually check the Mail.app on my MB and deal with email there. However, I have noticed that the default mail app on my iPhone And iPad doesn't refresh until I open the app (app icon badge doesn't disappear either) even though I have processed email on my MB. I have svitched to another mail app, Spark who seems to handle this flawless.

Does the iPhone's mail app icon badge not disappear after dealing with email on another device using the same iCloud account? Everything refreshes once I open the mail app on the iPhone/iPad, but shouldn't this happen on its own? It could be that I'm not waiting long enough or that this doesn't work the way I thought it did.

This has been a problem for several IOS and Mac OS

Thanks for good suggestions!

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 8:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 9:54 AM

TORBJORN.GJERDE,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is correct. From the Check Mail Fetch and Notification settings section of the article above: "Your device will fetch new data in the background only when your device is charging and connected to Wi-Fi".

If you'd like to submit feedback on the Mail app, that can be done here: Product Feedback. You can also reach out to Apple Support directly at this link: Get Support, or by calling the most applicable phone number listed here: Contact Apple for support and service.

All the best!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2021 9:54 AM in response to TORBJORN.GJERDE

TORBJORN.GJERDE,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is correct. From the Check Mail Fetch and Notification settings section of the article above: "Your device will fetch new data in the background only when your device is charging and connected to Wi-Fi".

If you'd like to submit feedback on the Mail app, that can be done here: Product Feedback. You can also reach out to Apple Support directly at this link: Get Support, or by calling the most applicable phone number listed here: Contact Apple for support and service.

All the best!

Oct 3, 2021 10:04 AM in response to TORBJORN.GJERDE

Hi there TORBJORN.GJERDE,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We understand that the Mail app isn't syncing between devices as you expect, so we'd like to see how we can help. When you go to Settings > Notifications > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data, on your iOS devices, what is Fetch set to? If Automatically is selected, your devices will fetch new data in the background only when charging and connected to Wi-Fi. If Manually is selected, the badge won't update unless you open the Mail app. Although the title of this article doesn't reflect the behavior you've described, it includes information on checking your Mail Fetch and notification settings: If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Cheers!

Oct 9, 2021 8:55 AM in response to MVegas21

Hello again, thanks for your quick reply!

If I understand your answer correctly, to use the fetch automatically option, wich I have is the most optimal solution for the apple mail app, and then the badge count will be updatet when charging and connected to Wi-Fi. (I have push selected as well) I was hoping for quicker update of the badge count. I use the mail app Spark today (only for this update issue) , and this app updates the badge count also on mobile net and not charging. Is there a way to have apple mail update the same way, and not only when when charging and connected to Wi-Fi? Or did I misunderstand your reply?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards Torbjorn

Mail app badge count not updating on IOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.