You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tab over dialog box options

I have always used the Tab key to move across dialog box options, but this doesn't work, at least not universally within Apple or 3rd party apps. So as far as I can tell, I must now use the mouse.

For example, open the Mail app, create a new email, and then close the window. A dialog box opens with the "Save," "Don't Save," and "Cancel" options. Initially, "Save" is highlighted in blue. In the past, I could use the Tab key on my keyboard to move the highlight from "Save" to "Don't Save" to "Cancel." Now, I can no longer do this using the Tab key.

If you open a TextEdit file, type something, then try to close, you can move from the "Save As" and "Tags" fields using the Tab key, but I cannot access the "Delete," "Cancel," or "Save" buttons in the dialog box using the Tab key.

In the past, I used the Tab to navigate these dialog boxes in all apps, Apple and otherwise. I'm a power user who prefers to keep my hands over the keyboard as much as possible, so having to use the mouse is a nuisance.

Can someone tell me if there is a preference I can change or whether this is a fixed preference in Big Sur?

Big Sur 11.6

2020 MBP 13in

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 6:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 6:59 PM

Can someone tell me if there is a preference I can change or whether this is a fixed preference in Big Sur?

Same place as every other OS version. Keyboard System Preferences, Shortcuts: "Use keyboard navigation…"

However, some of the expanded functionality that existed in previous versions has rolled into Accessibility System Preferences, Keyboard, Navigation: Full Keyboard Access.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2021 6:59 PM in response to sethbhunter

Same place as every other OS version. Keyboard System Preferences, Shortcuts: "Use keyboard navigation…"

However, some of the expanded functionality that existed in previous versions has rolled into Accessibility System Preferences, Keyboard, Navigation: Full Keyboard Access.

Tab over dialog box options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.