You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15 and Mail sync problem

Is anyone else having issues with mail failing to sync across devices? I usually access my mail on my iPad and have had no problems with syncing before but now I have to delete mail I already deleted on my iPad on both my iPhone and iMac. It was working fine before iOS 15 update.

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 10:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 11:04 AM

Nancy Schilling,

iCloud Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail all use IMAP standards. With IMAP, your emails are stored on the server. When you make a change on one device, it pushes that change to the server, and then the server pushes that change to all of your other devices automatically. For example, if you delete mail in one place it should automatically delete everywhere else, like what you're used to seeing.

As long as the accounts are set up correctly on your devices, the changes should be pushed to all of your other devices. That's why it's important to narrow the issue down and identify exactly where the issue lies. The issue could be settings, server, or account related.

So to get you headed in the right direction, we'll need some very specific answers.

1. Does this happen with emails from all of your accounts or one account in particular?
  2. Does this only happen if your delete the email on a particular device, or does it happen on all device you delete emails on?
  3. If you sign in to iCloud, Gmail, or Yahoo in a web browser and no the Mail app, then delete an email, does that get pushed to your devices?

We ask those questions for the following reasons. If this is only happening with one account, it points to an issue with the account and not your devices. If this is happening with all of your accounts it means it may be an issue with the Mail app, Settings on your devices, or the update, but it would likely be a settings issue since there doesn't appear to be a widespread app or update related issue right now. If the changes are being pushed to your devices from the website, it might be an incoming or outgoing server setting. Know those answers will help us better understand where the issue is stemming from.

Alternatively, you can remove those accounts from all of your devices and then set them up again. That might be the ultimate course of action anyway depending don't the root cause of the issue. Removing the accounts and adding them again ensures that the server settings are correct and resets fetch settings on your iPhone. Since the accounts are IMAP, removing the accounts shouldn't cause any data loss. That said, if you things like photos, contacts, notes, or other content from those accounts on your iPhone, you may need to redownload them after signing back in.

To remove an account go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > [account name] > Delete Account.

To add an account, follow the steps here: Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope to hear back from you soon.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2021 11:04 AM in response to Nancy Schilling

Nancy Schilling,

iCloud Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail all use IMAP standards. With IMAP, your emails are stored on the server. When you make a change on one device, it pushes that change to the server, and then the server pushes that change to all of your other devices automatically. For example, if you delete mail in one place it should automatically delete everywhere else, like what you're used to seeing.

As long as the accounts are set up correctly on your devices, the changes should be pushed to all of your other devices. That's why it's important to narrow the issue down and identify exactly where the issue lies. The issue could be settings, server, or account related.

So to get you headed in the right direction, we'll need some very specific answers.

1. Does this happen with emails from all of your accounts or one account in particular?
  2. Does this only happen if your delete the email on a particular device, or does it happen on all device you delete emails on?
  3. If you sign in to iCloud, Gmail, or Yahoo in a web browser and no the Mail app, then delete an email, does that get pushed to your devices?

We ask those questions for the following reasons. If this is only happening with one account, it points to an issue with the account and not your devices. If this is happening with all of your accounts it means it may be an issue with the Mail app, Settings on your devices, or the update, but it would likely be a settings issue since there doesn't appear to be a widespread app or update related issue right now. If the changes are being pushed to your devices from the website, it might be an incoming or outgoing server setting. Know those answers will help us better understand where the issue is stemming from.

Alternatively, you can remove those accounts from all of your devices and then set them up again. That might be the ultimate course of action anyway depending don't the root cause of the issue. Removing the accounts and adding them again ensures that the server settings are correct and resets fetch settings on your iPhone. Since the accounts are IMAP, removing the accounts shouldn't cause any data loss. That said, if you things like photos, contacts, notes, or other content from those accounts on your iPhone, you may need to redownload them after signing back in.

To remove an account go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > [account name] > Delete Account.

To add an account, follow the steps here: Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope to hear back from you soon.

Sep 29, 2021 9:22 AM in response to Nancy Schilling

Hello Nancy Schilling,

If you’re experiencing an issue with email syncing across your device, we’ll need to narrow the issue down a bit and determine if the issue is related to the devices or the account.

How many email accounts do you have? Does the issue happen with all of your accounts?

If you delete an email from the email provider's website, do the changes sync to all of your devices automatically?

For information on how to use the mail app, check this out: Use the Mail app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

Sep 29, 2021 9:41 AM in response to mario49

I have multiple email accounts that I only access through Mail. Many I delete without reading, but those deleted mails are still in the All Mailboxes on my other 2 devices - iPhone 7+, iPad Pro (prob 1st gen) and iMac running Mojave (purchased in 2017). Aside from my apple mail, I have accounts with yahoo and gmail which come to the Mail app. As I said, the syncing was working fine until I updated my devices with the latest release.

I just checked mail on both my ipad and iMac - I deleted some emails on the iMac and they did go away on the ipad, but all the mails I read or deleted on my ipad from yesterday (after I had deleted several days worth of mail on my iMac) were all still on the iMac.

Does this clarify anything at all? Would the update have changed settings?

iOS 15 and Mail sync problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.