You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding/Modifying Finder Favorites Folders

I've long struggled with adapting to the default Apple OS file management "folder" scheme. I'd like to get some clarity on what is and isn't changeable. I'm not sure what the proper nomenclature is, so I'll do my best to describe what it is that I'm referring to along the way.

I generally appreciate that the default file management "folder" scheme separates files according to type. Ideally, I would like to keep my files separated according to their functionality, but sometimes some app developers don't seem to abide by this scheme very strictly.

Here's my issue. Many audio app developers have defaulted to using the Documents folder as the default home install destination (including Best Service, FrozenPlain, Native Instruments, SynthMasterPlayer, Voltage Modular), as seen below.

The problem is, I don't want non-text-based files in the Documents folder if I can help it, because I would prefer to keep that folder as clean and minimal as possible; right now it's quite cluttered. However, since I'm limited by the settings available when installing certain apps, I need to find a different solution.

My solution so far has been creating a custom folder titled "My Stuff" directly in the Favorites Finder menu bar, as seen below.

Would this be the best process for a more personalized file management ecosystem? Are there side-effects to this process? Is the custom "My Stuff" folder I created, and all of its associated content (including the five folders nested within My Stuff), merely a duplicate of its parent folder, or are those files linked to the parent folder that they came from?

Any general guidance for working within the Apple file management system? How flexible is it? Is there a better way that I can simplify my storage system?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 10:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 1:41 PM

When you create a copy of the folder "My Stuff", that's exactly what you get; an independent copy of the folder and its contents at that moment. There is no update to files within the copy as you make changes to the original. They are not synced in any way. You may delete the original without fear.

There is no easy way that I know of to check the version history of files in macOS. There may be an app for that, but I have no personal knowledge or experience.

However, that is something that a working Time Machine backup can help with. A Time Machine backup will contain copies of files as they change over time. From those backups you can restore a file to a previous version if needed.

• Backup your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

And, you're welcome.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2021 1:41 PM in response to Sunshine_82

When you create a copy of the folder "My Stuff", that's exactly what you get; an independent copy of the folder and its contents at that moment. There is no update to files within the copy as you make changes to the original. They are not synced in any way. You may delete the original without fear.

There is no easy way that I know of to check the version history of files in macOS. There may be an app for that, but I have no personal knowledge or experience.

However, that is something that a working Time Machine backup can help with. A Time Machine backup will contain copies of files as they change over time. From those backups you can restore a file to a previous version if needed.

• Backup your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

And, you're welcome.

Sep 23, 2021 4:04 PM in response to Sunshine_82

As I look at the pics you posted above, I believe you are misunderstanding the representation of the folders in the Finder Sidebar.

When you create a folder icon in the sidebar by dragging a folder there, it is not a copy of the folder. It is simply a reference to the original... a way to access the original. So when you manipulate items in the folder you access by clicking that sidebar icon, you are manipulating the original.

To get a true representation of the folders on your Mac, you have to look at the items in the main part of the Finder window. It's there that you will manipulate your files and folders, copy and delete them, rename them, etc.

Please see –

Organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/finder-mchlp2605/mac

Sep 23, 2021 11:10 AM in response to Sunshine_82

Hello Sunshine_82.

Your way of organizing your files is just fine. A filing system is only good if it can be adapted to the way the user works, and I see no problems with your plan. If your plan makes sense to you and lets you keep track of everything, then you're golden.

Don't get hung up on the idea that "document"s means just text. In computer parlance a document can be any file. For you and me, our documents are our music files, videos, text, pics... and anything that we create in our apps. The Documents folder in macOS is a repository for our user-created content. It also allows us to organize these files within in any manner which suits us. Feel free to nest as many folders and files within it as you like, in just about any way that makes sense to you.

In the future, whenever you need to copy or backup "Your Stuff", if you keep it all in the Documents folder, it's a simple matter to copy that one folder and know that all of your stuff is being copied... well, most all of your stuff except your music and pictures libraries, which by default live in the Music and Photos folders.

The only restriction I would advise is that you be certain that any user files and folders you create remain nested within the confines of your Home folder. That is the folder indicated by the house icon in finder. Your Home folder includes Desktop, Documents, Downloads, iCloud Drive, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures and Public. It may also include any other folders that you create for you own uses.

Keep this in mind as you continue to use your Mac and all will be well.

Sep 23, 2021 1:14 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks for the response, D.I. Johnson.

I understand that a document can include many different types of files. I'm just trying to create a very particular file system that is easy for me to maintain. Just a little housecleaning. :)

Just to be clear, when I created a copy of the My Stuff folder within my Documents folder, does the copy of the source folder exist separately/independently on its own? Or are the two folders synced together, so that when changes are made to one document those changes are transferred to the same document in the linked folder? If they exist separately, can I then delete the redundant source folder (My Stuff) within Documents without harming the copy of that folder that I created outside of my Documents folder?

Furthermore, it's now unclear to me where my latest versions of the documents are. Is there an easy way to check the versioning history of files on a Mac?

Thanks for your help!

Sep 23, 2021 3:31 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Actually, I tested out the connection between the source folder and its copy and it isn't what we thought: the copy does appear to be synced to the source; and when I deleted the source, I lost access to the content in the copied folder. Is this standard procedure? Is there no way to change this?

So my question still stands, I thought the Mac OS was very user-friendly, but I can't seem to get around the fact that developers are dumping content within my Documents folder that I cannot relocate; and now I can't figure out how to create an alternative folder scheme that runs independently of its original source content. Maybe I'm missing something again? Any feedback would be welcomed!

Sep 24, 2021 3:10 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

I was confused about the function of the added folders in Finder. Thanks for confirming that.

After reviewing the tutorial materials on the Apple site, I've confirmed the nature of an alias which I used without knowing so. But I can't find any material that explains about how to add folder or files to the sidebar permanently without using aliases. This is possible, right?

If so, do I first create the folder in the sidebar, then copy and paste the folders and files into the new sidebar folder (rather than the click and drag method that I used which resulted in an alias)? Is it possible it's this easy? :)

Adding/Modifying Finder Favorites Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.