You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Got an email from icloud@insideapple.apple.com stating that my icloud was upgraded to Icloud for free. Is this legitimate email

Got an email from icloud@insideapple.apple.com stating that my icloud was upgraded to Icloud for free. Is this legitimate email?

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 6:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 6:19 PM

Yes, it’s real.

(No, you didn’t got a message indicating your iCloud was upgraded to iCloud. You got upgraded to iCloud+. Folks that pay for iCloud got that same upgrade to iCloud+. You’ll be paying the same for iCloud+ as you paid for iCloud.)

Phrased slightly less confusingly, the free tier is now known as iCloud, while the paid tier is known as iCloud+.

Some new features have been added.

Info on those iCloud+ features are available near the end of this webpage: iCloud - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 20, 2021 6:19 PM in response to Hempar11

Yes, it’s real.

(No, you didn’t got a message indicating your iCloud was upgraded to iCloud. You got upgraded to iCloud+. Folks that pay for iCloud got that same upgrade to iCloud+. You’ll be paying the same for iCloud+ as you paid for iCloud.)

Phrased slightly less confusingly, the free tier is now known as iCloud, while the paid tier is known as iCloud+.

Some new features have been added.

Info on those iCloud+ features are available near the end of this webpage: iCloud - Apple

Sep 22, 2021 7:17 PM in response to Ragbagg

Ragbagg wrote:

if the upgrade to Icloud plus is free, why when I click on it, does it say it will cost $9.99 per month?

You already have iCloud+, if you were paying for iCloud storage. iCloud+ is the new name of the paid storage tier, with a few new features. If you decide to upgrade your iCloud+ storage (to more iCloud storage than you’re already paying for) then that upgrade will cost more.

Got an email from icloud@insideapple.apple.com stating that my icloud was upgraded to Icloud for free. Is this legitimate email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.