You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a macbook 12" (early 2015) and am using the USB-C multiport which works fine for USB-A devices, but won't charge my macbook from the regular USB-C cable (power source and cable both work fine). Is my multiport defective?

I have a macbook 12" (early 2015) and am using the USB-C multiport which works fine for USB-A devices, but won't charge my macbook from the regular USB-C cable (power source and cable both work fine). Is my multiport defective? It works fine otherwise.

MacBook, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 7:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 1:27 PM

Hello Kamikatsu,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We're sorry to see that you're experiencing this issue, and we're here for you.

If the power cable and outlet work OK, then it might be an issue with the multiport adapter. One way to isolate the issue further is to try charging another Mac computer using the multiport. If more than one device won't charge, then the multiport could be experiencing an issue.

If you don't have access to another Mac, we recommend checking a few more things such as the cabling and updates. You can also reset the SMC which manages power. These steps and more are found in the articles below:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook

If your Mac battery won’t charge

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 20, 2021 1:27 PM in response to Kamikatsu

Hello Kamikatsu,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We're sorry to see that you're experiencing this issue, and we're here for you.

If the power cable and outlet work OK, then it might be an issue with the multiport adapter. One way to isolate the issue further is to try charging another Mac computer using the multiport. If more than one device won't charge, then the multiport could be experiencing an issue.

If you don't have access to another Mac, we recommend checking a few more things such as the cabling and updates. You can also reset the SMC which manages power. These steps and more are found in the articles below:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook

If your Mac battery won’t charge

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Sep 23, 2021 8:10 AM in response to Erin_B11

Hi Erin_B11,

Thank you so much for your response and insight. You were completely right. I had written off the idea that the multiport might be faulty since the other ports worked fine and I had found similar reports online, so I assumed it was a compatibility issue. However, having followed your advice, I've just received a new multiport, and it works perfectly.

I guess sometimes the simplest solution is the right one.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Kind regards

I have a macbook 12" (early 2015) and am using the USB-C multiport which works fine for USB-A devices, but won't charge my macbook from the regular USB-C cable (power source and cable both work fine). Is my multiport defective?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.