You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer is stuck on the password screen after doing the big sur install. Please help.

Please help. My computer installed the big sur software and now it won’t load beyond my password screen. It’s been nearly 24 hours now.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 1:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 2:41 AM

Shutdown the computer by any means including the Power Button.

Disconnect all external devices.

Plug into charger. Restart in Safe Mode

This Mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts so load slowly - Normal.

It may allow the Log In Screen to present in a normal way and allow access to computer.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2021 2:41 AM in response to Lucindadalton

Shutdown the computer by any means including the Power Button.

Disconnect all external devices.

Plug into charger. Restart in Safe Mode

This Mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts so load slowly - Normal.

It may allow the Log In Screen to present in a normal way and allow access to computer.

My computer is stuck on the password screen after doing the big sur install. Please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.