You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup options

Not a computer wiz, so be patient. All I want to do is back up my documents. I am afraid that if I use Time Machine, and am hacked, the drive connected to Time Machine will be compromised at the same time. Would just a large capacity flash drive work? If so, size and brand.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 4:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 4:17 PM

Time Machine must be done using an external drive for safety reasons. It'll be just the same as any other external flash drive.

TM is just a built-in tool to automate the operation of backing up stuff that also creates a "copy" of your drive and, in case you need to do a full restore, you can simply restore the entire backup and your Mac just comes back as you set it up once.

Backups are also encrypted by FireVault.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2021 4:17 PM in response to TOHJR

Time Machine must be done using an external drive for safety reasons. It'll be just the same as any other external flash drive.

TM is just a built-in tool to automate the operation of backing up stuff that also creates a "copy" of your drive and, in case you need to do a full restore, you can simply restore the entire backup and your Mac just comes back as you set it up once.

Backups are also encrypted by FireVault.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Backup options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.