You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer able to find local files using the search function of Mac

I have been unable to find local pdf files using the search function on my Mac since the OS has been updated lately to big sur 11.5.2 (maybe even some earlier versions but I didn't pay attention to). This became very clear after I recently migrated a lot of files from local dropbox folders to google drive's local folders. Whatever the reason is, this makes the search function much, much less desirable than it has always been till recently.

What's weird is that if I navigated into the folder where that pdf file has been stored and opened & closed it and searched the file again, it can be found. In other words the search function seems now to have become so lazy as to only look into cache for the result, without visiting the whole document directory.

Really wish the Apple engineers can fix this problem at next upgrade of the OS. (or perhaps people have other advice on how to fix it myself?)

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 8:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 8:55 AM

Try the following in order:

1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 - rebuild the Spotlight index according to this Apple document: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support  

You might want to try the shareware app, Find Any File . It's is a very powerful search app. However, it can only search for file names.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

With the right view option it shows you graphically where the file is located:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2021 8:55 AM in response to foresee1900

Try the following in order:

1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 - rebuild the Spotlight index according to this Apple document: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support  

You might want to try the shareware app, Find Any File . It's is a very powerful search app. However, it can only search for file names.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

With the right view option it shows you graphically where the file is located:

No longer able to find local files using the search function of Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.