You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cancelling Apple Music / Rejoin Family Help!

Hi all. Bit of convoluted one here. If only I could merge 2 iCloud accounts...

I have two iCloud accounts; one account (call it acc1) I use for almost everything, except iTunes/Apple Music, which has always been with another account (acc2).

I now have a family setup and want to move to the apple one family thing. But we're all currently using my acc2 for a family music subscription, while everything else iCloud (email, Drive etc) is on acc1.

Can I cancel the acc2 music subscription, then re-sign up to music on acc1 (as part of apple one), then add acc1 as one of the family members? Will I still have the library/recommendations I currently have? Fairly sure I won't lose the iTunes music I own or have previously ripped (ahh, simpler times!).

Thanks in advance x

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 3:17 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 9, 2021 10:22 AM in response to cpw13

Hello cpw13,

Thanks for reaching out to us in Apple Support Communities about how to deal with two iCloud accounts. We're happy to help by looking into this more! 

If you get rid of an Apple ID you will also get rid of all the music purchased under that ID and the playlists saved in that ID. There is no way to transfer content from one ID to another, your best option is to continue to access both ID's with Family Sharing. This article explains the type of content that can be shared between Apple ID's when all set up under Family Sharing:

What types of content can I share with my family?

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Sep 9, 2021 1:59 PM in response to c_luc9

Thanks for the response. Maybe I wasn't clear; I don't want to cancel or get rid of the Apple ID, I'm well aware this would lose all my music, and I'm aware I can't transfer content. (FWIW I'm sure I'm one of many thousands (millions?) of people wishing we could merge/combine accounts...)

What I'm trying to check is can I stop the Apple Music subscription through that first account - then resubscribe with the second account, re-adding the first as a family member. Would this then allow me access again to my first account's playlists/history?

Sep 9, 2021 2:21 PM in response to c_luc9

Thanks again - but still more clarification(!)

I don’t want to transfer any data or music or playlists. I want to keep using the same account for music. Just change the account that pays for it.

I want to change the Apple ID account through which I subscribe to/pay for Apple Music. And then access that subscription from the original Apple ID as a family member.

Sep 9, 2021 2:42 PM in response to cpw13

cpw13,

If you’re wanting to keep the first Apple ID, and you’ve already canceled the AM subscription, then you can set up Family Sharing with the new ID and add the first ID as a family member. However keep in mind, once you cancel a subscription you will loose all the playlists and data associated with that original subscription. However there there is really no advantage in doing this, except changing which member of the family is financially responsible for the subscription costs.

Best Regards.

Cancelling Apple Music / Rejoin Family Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.