You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore macbook air

My computer is not working properly. Google chrome doesn´t work, switch control keeps enabling and disabling by itself, PDF usually freeze, keyboard doesn´t work properly. I want to restore the computer and see if it fixes the problem, but I can´t find how to restore it.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 12:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 5:59 PM

Hi danyasalinas,

When you mention "restore", do you mean completely wiping your Mac and starting fresh? Or do you mean restoring from a backup?

If you want to start completely fresh, you have a few options. Back up your Mac before you proceed. All of the following require a strong Internet connection.

• You can use macOS Recovery to erase your Mac and reinstall macOS. Follow the appropriate steps, depending on whether your Mac has an Apple silicon chip (M1 or newer) or an Intel processor.

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

• If your Mac has an Apple silicon chip (M1 or newer), you can wipe everything and restore your Mac's firmware using another Mac. This process also reinstalls macOS.

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon with Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 5, 2021 5:59 PM in response to danyasalinas

Hi danyasalinas,

When you mention "restore", do you mean completely wiping your Mac and starting fresh? Or do you mean restoring from a backup?

If you want to start completely fresh, you have a few options. Back up your Mac before you proceed. All of the following require a strong Internet connection.

• You can use macOS Recovery to erase your Mac and reinstall macOS. Follow the appropriate steps, depending on whether your Mac has an Apple silicon chip (M1 or newer) or an Intel processor.

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

• If your Mac has an Apple silicon chip (M1 or newer), you can wipe everything and restore your Mac's firmware using another Mac. This process also reinstalls macOS.

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon with Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Sep 5, 2021 12:42 AM in response to danyasalinas

danyasalinas Said:

"restore macbook air: My computer is not working properly. Google chrome doesn´t work, switch control keeps enabling and disabling by itself, PDF usually freeze, keyboard doesn´t work properly. I want to restore the computer and see if it fixes the problem, but I can´t find how to restore it."

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Restore in Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode.  In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are intentionally fixed. Once booted in Safe Mode, restore your Mac from a Time Machine Backup you created. Go Here: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

or...

B. Create a New User:

If Safe Mode does not work, then try creating new administrator user, seeing if your an restore in that user.

restore macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.