You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover photos from locked Ipad

How can I recover my photos from my locked iPad. I haven't used it for some time and can't remember the passcode.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 2:35 AM

3 replies

Aug 31, 2021 2:43 AM in response to grahamfromsantiago

No way to do it, unless you have a recent backup, or those pictures were synced to iCloud. See this explanation:

Given that to remove the existing passcode you must connect your device via USB to a computer (a Windows PC running the latest iTunes version, or a Mac, which can run iTunes or Finder, depending on the macOS installed on it), and keeping in mind that if you don't have a backup all data will be lost on that device (except those that you eventually synced to iCloud), pay attention to the specific gestures that you need to perform while connecting your device to the computer.

These are the instructions to re-gain access to your iPhone/iPad:

If it is an iPhone:--> If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

If it is an iPad:--> If you forgot the passcode on your iPad, or your iPad is disabled - Apple Support

Or, watch this support video about the same matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s8-zLG9ySQ

Regards

Giulio

Aug 31, 2021 3:03 AM in response to grahamfromsantiago

You cannot recover any photos or data from a locked iPad.

All data is encrypted at rest - and unless unlocked, the encrypted data cannot be accessed. Your Passcode is the key to the lock that releases the encryption keys from the Secure Enclave (the iPad security chip).

Whilst you cannot access any data from your locked iPad unless you recall the iPad passcode, if your photos are synchronised with iCloud, you may be able to access your photos via iCloud.

https://icloud.apple.com

More information about Photos in iCloud can be found here:

https://www.imore.com/icloud-photo-library

iCloud Photos, Shared Albums and My Photo Stream - Apple Support

Otherwise, you will be reliant upon recovering your data and photos from an iCloud or iTunes backup - if you have one. Of you don’t have a backup - or recall the device passcode - your data and photos will be irretrievably lost.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Aug 31, 2021 3:43 AM in response to LotusPilot

To expand upon my earlier comments - and to perhaps add some clarity that addresses comments made in your [now deleted] post - you perhaps need to understand that your iPad has an encrypted file system. Data security is a key feature of iOS/iPadOS.

If the iPad is locked with a Passcode that you don’t know, or the iPad is disabled, direct access to locally stored data is lost. The iPad has an encrypted file system that requires cryptographic keys to decrypt the data. The crypto’ keys are stored in the iPad Secure Enclave - and nowhere else. It is your Passcode that unlocks the Secure Enclave - and releases the only copy of the encryption keys to the operating system - allowing access to the encrypted data and photos.

If the iPad becomes disabled, the cryptographic keys that secure the data are automatically destroyed - rendering any stored data unrecoverable. Without a pre-existing iCloud or iTunes backup, you’ll not be able to recover any data. Sadly, you may have learned a bitter lesson; you should ensure that irreplaceable data/photos that you value are backed-up in case of unforeseen disaster.

However, if you had previously enabled iCloud, some of your lost material may still be saved in your iCloud storage - and of this, some (such as photos) can be accessed using a web browser:

https://icloud.apple.com

Recover photos from locked Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.