You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone asks for someone else activation lock

Well, I bought used iphone from someone, he removed his iCloud account . I entered my own iCloud account and purchased some apps but the problem is when I updated it . Asked activation lock which isnt my apple id

How could this happen?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 1:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 2:04 PM

Again, the phone was not prepared for a new user, and Activation Lock was NOT removed. You can't use the phone unless whoever you bought it from can Remove the Lock using the instructions in the link sberman provided. Everything I wrote in my first response to you applies and is accurate.

You've more than likely been duped. But perhaps you just bought a phone from a real person who just didn't know how to remove Activation Lock. Still, they have to do it as you can't, Apple won't and we can't.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2021 2:04 PM in response to sweetbert

Again, the phone was not prepared for a new user, and Activation Lock was NOT removed. You can't use the phone unless whoever you bought it from can Remove the Lock using the instructions in the link sberman provided. Everything I wrote in my first response to you applies and is accurate.

You've more than likely been duped. But perhaps you just bought a phone from a real person who just didn't know how to remove Activation Lock. Still, they have to do it as you can't, Apple won't and we can't.

Aug 24, 2021 1:47 PM in response to sweetbert

Because he didn't remove activation lock, nor prepare the phone properly for you as a new user.

If the phone is activation locked, you need to contact whoever you bought it from, have them remove activation lock or refund your money and give the phone back to him.

I see sberman provided the correct link which explains how to remove Activation Lock. Contact the person you bought the phone from and have him do what the link requires, or if he can't do it, get your money back. If you can't reach him (happens all the time), recycle the phone appropriately as Apple will NOT remove activation lock on that phone and we can't help you do so either.

See this user tip I wrote about buying used iOS devices --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Aug 24, 2021 2:26 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks, i have been reaching him but he didnt answer his phone since yesterday and now his number is suspended . I dont know what happened to him or it was intentional to deceive me or his negligency. By the time i thought it was bypassed but i have come to find that bypassed iphone doesnt support simcard but this phone was supporting. Well thanks again for opening my mind.

Aug 24, 2021 3:54 PM in response to sweetbert

sweetbert wrote:

Thanks, i have been reaching him but he didnt answer his phone since yesterday and now his number is suspended . I dont know what happened to him or it was intentional to deceive me or his negligency. By the time i thought it was bypassed but i have come to find that bypassed iphone doesnt support simcard but this phone was supporting. Well thanks again for opening my mind.

I know exactly what happened. You have been scammed. You most assuredly bought a stolen iPhone, the seller could not have ever removed the lock on. I hope this didn't cost you much money as you'll likely never get your money back. And the phone you purchased is completely useless.

Recycle the phone appropriately. Any Apple Store or Best Buy Store will take the phone and dispose of it properly. They will not however help you in any way defeat activation lock. You would have to have the original purchase receipt showing the iPhone serial number on the receipt. Since you don't have that and there is no way you can get it. They won't do anything to help you other than to recycle the phone.

My iPhone asks for someone else activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.