You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD - Data After Reinstall

My 2017 iMac running Big Sur filled up and I was forced to erase and reinstall and migrate my data back from an external harddrive with a Time Machine backup. I followed these steps https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496 and everything seemed good, expect Time Machine did not seem to be making backups. I clicked on the Time Machine setting to run it manually and it timed down and prepared and then seemed to be done almost instantly. I restarted my iMac and tried again and this time Time Machine said it could not because there were two versions of Macintosh HD - Data. I looked in the finder and saw that where there used to be just my Macintosh HD listed, that now there was also Macintosh HD - Data listed below it.

Can someone advise me on what to do now and what I might have done wrong or what might have caused this?

Thanks,

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 11:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 11:50 AM

You did not erase the Volume Group, so it left the old Data volume.

Open Disk Utility and select each Macintosh HD - Data volume.

The one that shows a home icon in the Name in the info pane is the new one. If you look at the mount point, it will say /System/Volumes/Data.

If you see just /Volumes as the mount point, that is the old one. With it selected, click the "Remove Volume" button ( – ).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2021 11:50 AM in response to napa-web-designer

You did not erase the Volume Group, so it left the old Data volume.

Open Disk Utility and select each Macintosh HD - Data volume.

The one that shows a home icon in the Name in the info pane is the new one. If you look at the mount point, it will say /System/Volumes/Data.

If you see just /Volumes as the mount point, that is the old one. With it selected, click the "Remove Volume" button ( – ).

Aug 23, 2021 6:37 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks,

Perfect. Except Time Machine still seems to be stuck on a date days ago. I think Time Machine is working, as in making new backups, but in the menu bar the date of the last backup is still days ago rather than today, even though I clicked to backup now and it looked like it went through the process, although pretty quickly.

Is there an issue with Time Machine after reinstall and Migration from a Time Machine backup?

Thanks again,

Macintosh HD - Data After Reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.