You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting selected rows

I recently got a Mac and now I'm using Numbers instead of Excel.

In Excel you could easily select the rows you wanted to be sorted and do it, but when I try the same in Numbers it also sorts other rows that I haven't selected. These rows were already sorted but will now be completely resorted in a very wrong, and at first glance illogical, way. I admit I get frustrated easily but it annoys me that it doesn't just sort the selected rows when that is the very option I choose.

How do I sort only the selected rows and not the entire spreadsheet? What I'm doing is I go to organize -> sort -> sort selected rows and then add a column to it to sort on.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 3:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 5:14 AM

I can't reproduce what you describe. Sort Selected Rows seems to be working as expected here.

Starting with this table:

I Add a Column for the sort:

Getting this:

That is the exact same result as in Excel.

If you want to sort just some of the cells in column A without affecting column B then you can do this:

Select the cells in column A that you want to sort:

Hold down the mouse button and drag them onto the canvas of the sheet, where they will automatically form their own separate table:

Sort that table:

Select the cells in that table and drag them back into position in the original table.

The result:

This sounds complicated but it's actually quick and easy. I find it more convenient than the interface in Excel.

SG

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2021 5:14 AM in response to FrustratedMark1

I can't reproduce what you describe. Sort Selected Rows seems to be working as expected here.

Starting with this table:

I Add a Column for the sort:

Getting this:

That is the exact same result as in Excel.

If you want to sort just some of the cells in column A without affecting column B then you can do this:

Select the cells in column A that you want to sort:

Hold down the mouse button and drag them onto the canvas of the sheet, where they will automatically form their own separate table:

Sort that table:

Select the cells in that table and drag them back into position in the original table.

The result:

This sounds complicated but it's actually quick and easy. I find it more convenient than the interface in Excel.

SG

Sorting selected rows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.