You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you change the Japanese keyboard typing method to romaji in Big Sur?

Is this possible? The option is there on older operating systems as shown below:

However, it is not there on Big Sur:

I'm trying to type in Japanese on my Macbook but the typing method is set to `kana' (I cannot see any option to change it) and this seems pretty unusable since I don't have kana symbols on my keyboard. Everything works fine on my i-Mac which is has an older operating system and I can just use the romaji method. Is there a way to use the romaji method on my Macbook without installing an older OS?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 4:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 5:06 AM

I can't test in Big Sur at at the moment, but see if the user guide offers any help:

https://support.apple.com/guide/japanese-input-method/welcome/mac

2 replies

Aug 18, 2021 7:50 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom, thanks for the quick reply. I finally worked out what has happened. On the older operating systems there was just one Japanese input source called `Japanese':

You then set the typing method in the preferences. On Big Sur, this has been divided into two different Japanese input sources called `Japanese - Kana' and `Japanese - Romaji':

I had set up the `Kana' input source when I wanted the `Romaji' one. Looking back, I probably thought that the `Kana' and `Romaji' referred to whether you wanted to type kana or romaji (i.e. a bit like the `Input mode' options), rather than the typing method. I then promptly forgot about the Romaji input source option after trying to figure out how to use the romaji typing method in the Kana input source!

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

Kind regards,

J.

Can you change the Japanese keyboard typing method to romaji in Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.