You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change iCloud area for backup of iPad?

My wife has almost used her iCloud area, and as I have an iPhone with access to iCloud too, I have started subscription to a family access to 200 GB on iCloud for backup.

Problem is: I can't see how to set up her iPad so that her backup will be done to this shared iCloud area rather than to her area, which is too small for her.

I hope someone can help, since if it is not possible, we don't have much need for this shared iCloud area as we already have a couple of TB space on oneDrive already.

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 12:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 12:05 PM

Click on this link to learn how to 'Share an iCloud storage plan with your family' --> hhttps://support.apple.com/HT208147

"If you already had an iCloud storage plan

When you share your iCloud storage, any family members using the free 5GB plan are added to your family plan automatically.

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud storage plan, they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still remain part of the family. When they switch to the shared family plan, they get a refund for the remainder of their personal plan. They can't keep their current plan and use the shared family plan at the same time."

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 12, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Roy_Oestensen

Click on this link to learn how to 'Share an iCloud storage plan with your family' --> hhttps://support.apple.com/HT208147

"If you already had an iCloud storage plan

When you share your iCloud storage, any family members using the free 5GB plan are added to your family plan automatically.

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud storage plan, they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still remain part of the family. When they switch to the shared family plan, they get a refund for the remainder of their personal plan. They can't keep their current plan and use the shared family plan at the same time."

Aug 12, 2021 1:46 PM in response to Limnos

Thank you. It is nice to know that this is possible. But I don't seem to find out how to do so.

My wife is now part of the Family group, but her backup is still on the free subscription, with 5 GB in total.

If I choose Change backup subscription, the only choice is to pay 10 NOK per month for 50 GB, and that is not what I want. I have tried to follow the steps given in the link for when a family member already has her own subscription, but I am not quite able to follow it, it seems.

Under my wife's setup (Apple-ID) I choose Family Sharing

Here I am set up as organiser and my wife is a member

When I tap her name, it gives her e-mail as account.

Is the problem that I should change to my own e-mail here or perhaps change her e-mail to something else? I don't like it, and it doesn't seem the right thing to do.

Roy

How to change iCloud area for backup of iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.